Make Your Life Easier with the Best Cheese Slicer in the Market
For many at-home chefs or anyone who take culinary as a serious task, it is important to invest in a wide array of tools. Among others, one that you will possibly need is the best cheese slicer. Using knife for cheese is labor-intensive, plus, you are not assured of consistent slices. Thankfully, cheese slicers have been invented!
Given the abundance of the options that are available in the market, which one should you choose? This is definitely not easy to answer, especially because of differences in needs and personal preferences. If in case you are having a hard time choosing, however, keep on reading the rest of this post and we’ll help you to make the right choice.
The History of Cheese Slicers
The cheese slicer that we know today is believed to have originated in Norway, a creation of Thor Bjorklund. According to stories, he became frustrated with the use of knife in slicing cheese because of the inconsistent results.
It was in 1925 when Bjorklund obtained a patent for the cheese slicer he invented. During such time, however, it was made specifically for hard cheese. Through time, the design has been improved until it came to be the one that we know today, which can be used for almost any type of cheese.
Types of Cheese Slicer
As you start your search for the best within the product category, the following are the types that you will be confronted with:
- Rolling Cheese Slicer: This is a T-shaped tool that comes with a solid handle, and at the end, there is a vertical roller that works in a simple manner. It is integrated with a wire, which rolls over the cheese to slice it.
- Plane Cheese Slicer: Also known as classic cheese slicer, it has a flat metal at the end, which is usually made from steel. It works by shaving off cheese. The blade is sharp enough so that it can cut with enough force even for hard cheese.
- Wire Cheese Slicer: If you want straight and even cut without exerting a lot of effort, this is the right choice for you. There is a cutting board that has an integrated arm. Which is where the wire is connected. It is simple and easy to clean, but you have to make sure that the wire is strong enough. It can be further grouped into the following:
- Stainless Cheese Slicer: If you are looking for safety and durability, this can prove to be an ideal choice. It is not prone to cracking and discoloration.
- Marble Cheese Slicer: The cutting board in this type is made from marble, which is beautiful, but there are many people who tend to complain about its weight.
- Wooden Cheese Slicer: In this type, there is a hardwood slicing surface. Among others, beechwood is one that is most popularly used.
Here is a short video that shows how you can use a wire cheese slicer:
Essential Factors to Consider
Trying to differentiate the options will not be an easy feat. With this, the following are some of the things that you should consider to easily make the right choice:
- Reviews: The first thing that you have to do is to consult with what other people have to say. You can ask around from your friends, or better yet, go online and learn from the experiences of others. This will allow you to easily narrow down the possibilities.
- Durability: Make sure that you will choose a cheese slicer that can withstand wear and tear. This means that even with frequent and long-term use, it must remain in its tip-top condition. It will be good if it can resist rust and corrosion.
- Blade: If you decide to opt for a cheese slicer that comes with a blade, aluminum and stainless steel are the best choices. They can deliver exceptional slicing performance, aside from the fact that they are not prone to rusting.
- Adjustability: This is not necessary for all users, but it is a good thing if you can adjust the width of the slicer depending on the cheese that will be sliced. This is a good thing if you are going to cut different types of cheese.
- Ease of Cleaning: If you want the cheese slicer to last longer, you should pick one that is easy to clean. It can easily have a foul smell if you do not clean it properly. It will also be good if it is dishwasher-safe.
- Safety: You also have to pay attention to the safety features of the cheese slicer. Make sure that it will be safe to use and will lessen the likelihood that you will suffer from injuries. See to it that the handle is well-designed to prevent the possibility of slipping.
- Warranty: If you want to have peace of mind, you should also consider the warranty that is offered by the manufacturer. Most products will have one-year warranty. It will be best if the manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty for their cheese slicer.
Top Picks for the Best Cheese Slicer
Still clueless about which one will make an excellent choice? If you are overwhelmed with the possibilities, I hope that this section will make things easier for you. We will have a rundown of the five best models in the market, as well as the features that give them an edge above all others.
While there are many good reasons to consider choosing this model, one of the best is the fact that it comes with an adjustable wire. You can change the cutting width of the slicer depending on the size of the cheese that you want to cut.
The one-piece construction is also an excellent feature of the product. This makes it look like an elegant addition in the kitchen. This is made even better by the fact that the body is made from zinc alloy, which has excellent aesthetics and impressive durability.
The design of the handle is also impressive, which is meant to withstand the test of time. It can be a bit small, but for most users, it can prove to be ergonomic. You will most likely not complain of discomfort when it is used.
Lastly, you might also love how it comes with a compact design. This will be a space-efficient kitchen tool. You do not need to have the luxury of space in the kitchen cabinet for its storage.
- Thickness can be customized as preferred
- Heavy duty construction
- Comes with a replacement wire
- Edges can be a bit rough
- Assembly will be required
If you are looking for a product that comes with an affordable price, this should be on the top of your list. This is the perfect alternative for budget-conscious buyers who are not willing to compromise quality.
The professional grade stainless steel that is used in this product is one more thing that can leave a positive impression. The latter is known for its durability, which is hard to match. Also, it is a good thing that it will not easily attract rust and corrosion.
Another design feature that is worth noting in this model is the solid-filled handle. This will make it easy for you to have a strong grip of the slicer and will minimize the likelihood that it will accidentally slip.
Lastly, the ring at the end of the handle is also an excellent design element. This makes it easy to hang the slicer in kitchen hooks.
When it comes to drawbacks, however, one thing that you might not like about this model is the angled design of the blade. With the latter, it can be quite difficult to clean.
- Made from premium stainless steel
- Comes with an affordable price
- Comes with a ring for hanging
- Blade cannot be adjusted
- Can be a bit tricky to clean
The design of this product is one of the first things that will captivate your attention. You will not be compelled to keep it in the cabinet because it looks sophisticated. One reason for this is the elegant marble cutting board, which is also why it can be a bit heavy.
Using marble as a material for the board is excellent not only when it comes to aesthetics. The surface is soft, which will lessen the likelihood that it will damage your cheese. Also, it is a good thing that it can keep the cheese cool.
To add, there is also a non-slip base. The rubber that is integrated in the feet will prevent the possibility that it will slide, regardless of the effort that you exert in cutting cheese.
Lastly, you might also love that despite all of its benefits, it comes with a practical price. It will be easy on the wallet, yet its functionality will be impressive.
- Comes with a replacement wire
- Elegant design
- Wires are flimsy
- Can be too small for some users
Simplicity is perhaps one of the best things that you will love about this option for the best cheese slicer. Even beginners will be able to use it without any complications. All that you need to do is to scrape cheese through the roller where the blade is integrated.
Cleaning the cheese slicer is also effortless, which should be done regularly to make it last longer. This is especially because some parts can be easily prone to rusting. To clean, simply wash it with soap and water.
Lastly, you might also love how the product comes with 5-year warranty, which is one of the best within the product category. This can provide you with peace of mind, knowing that the manufacturer will issue an unconditional refund if you are unhappy in any way with the quality of the product.
- Compact design
- Easy to use
- Affordable price
- Roller coating can easily come off
- Flimsy wire
Since this is a marble slicer, expect that it will be heavier than most of its counterparts. Also, it is going to be larger because it comes with a marble board where you will have to cut the cheese, unlike others that you simply hold in your hand and roll into a block.
Personally, I love marble boards, especially when you compare it to wood. It may be prone to chips and cracks, but when handled properly, the latter will not be a problem. Also, I loved how the surface stays smooth and cool, which will be good for the cheese that you will slice.
You do not need to worry that the cheese slicer will end up sliding. To prevent this from happening, it is designed with non-slip rubber feet, making sure that it remains in a stable position as it is used.
There are some people who complained that the wire can be a bit flimsy. To give you peace of mind, the package is inclusive of a replacement wire. Having the wire replaced is one thing that you can accomplish in a snap.
- Elegant design
- Well-designed handle
- Easy to use
- Can be a bit heavy
- Larger than other types of cheese slicers
So, what is the best cheese slicer? At the end of the day, it all boils down to your personal decision. Your budget, for instance, is one of the most important things that should be considered. How often will you use it? This is another thing that will have an impact on the right choice.
From the five products that have been mentioned above, if there is only one that I can personally recommend, it would be Bellemain Adjustable Thickness Cheese Slicer. There are many positive feedbacks about this product, especially with regards to its affordable price and durable construction. You will also love the simplicity of this product. Even if you are using it for the first time, there is no need to worry about complications.