Best Compact Microwave: The Right Choice for a New Kitchen Appliance
Many of you will definitely agree with me when I say that a microwave is one of the most important appliances to have in the kitchen. It can deliver an abundance of functions, although its performance will largely depend on the quality of the product that will be chosen. With this, it is extremely important to be a responsible buyer.
What is the best compact microwave that is available in the market? If you are wondering on what to buy, keep on reading the rest of this post and learn from the insights that we will be sharing. Aside from the purchase considerations, we will also look at some of the best products that you might want to consider.
Benefits of the Best Compact Microwave
If you still do not have a compact microwave in the kitchen, before are some of the reasons that might convince you to purchase one today:
- Ease of Installation
This is perhaps the most obvious benefit of having a compact microwave. This is a perfect choice for people with small kitchens since they will only require a small space.
In most cases, all that you need to do is to have it plugged and it will be ready to work. This is unlike in the case of over-the-range microwave wherein you need to think about the vents and spare more effort in the installation.
Most of the compact microwaves can deliver a wide array of functions. They have pre-set cooking functions, which means that there is no need to guess the time and level of heat that is necessary for a specific task.
Choosing the Best Compact Microwave
Below are some of the most important factors to consider, which will make it easy for you to narrow down the possibilities and arrive at the right decision:
- Functions: It is important to take a look at the functions that are available in the microwave. Choose one that can deliver multiple functions. Aside from reheating, most of them can also be used for defrosting, among other functions.
- Capacity: Most of the options that fall within this category can hold between .5 to 1 cubic foot. The larger the capacity is, the larger is the microwave. Think about the size of the kitchen and the household to determine what capacity is best for your needs.
- Ease of Use: You also have to pay attention to how user-friendly the product is. It will be good if the controls are in strategic positions. The handle should have an ergonomic design. As much as possible, pick a model with a digital timer. The manufacturer must also provide comprehensive instructions.
- Wattage: This is an important consideration because it will be indicative of the power of the microwave. More watts mean more power. This also means that your food will be heated quicker. Nonetheless, the more powerful ones also tend to be more expensive.
- Aesthetics: A compact microwave is one of the those will be exposed in the kitchen. With this, make sure to pick one that is as stylish as possible. It should add a hint of elegance or complement the overall look that you are trying to achieve in the kitchen.
- Turntable: It is also important that it comes with a well-designed turntable. It should be removable, which will make it easy to clean. As the turntable rotates, this will make sure even distribution of heat in your food.
- Warranty: It is inevitable that the compact microwave will experience problems in the past. With this, it will be good if the manufacturer is offering an extensive warranty coverage, which means that they will repair and replace the defective parts without any cost on your end.
Safety Tips in Using Compact Microwave
There have been a lot of horror stories with regards to how a compact microwave has been a source of hazard in the kitchen, especially fire. To prevent any unfortunate incident. Make sure to keep these tips in mind:
- Regular cleaning is a must. As much as possible, clean it right after every use by wiping it with a clean cloth. Deep cleaning should be part of routine maintenance. This will prevent dirt from accumulating and from compromising safety.
- Be sure to pay attention to the containers that will be used and see to it that they are microwave-safe. Aluminum foil and metal containers should not be used.
- Observe caution when handling anything from inside the microwave, especially liquids in containers. Use oven mitts, if possible.
- You should also be wary about where in the kitchen you will be placing the microwave. Keep it away from the heat of the sun. Make sure as well that it is in a location that is not prone to getting wet.
Below is a short video that will show you more about how to use a microwave safely:
Top Picks for the Best Compact Microwave
Still clueless about which one will make the perfect choice? In this section, we will provide you with a glimpse at five of the brands and models that you should include in your list.
If budget is on the top of your considerations, this is one option that should be part of your list. One of the reasons why it is cheap is because of its rotary dial control, which you just have to rotate based on the function that is chosen.
With this microwave oven, you can enjoy the best when it comes to space-efficiency. It has dimensions of 10.3 x 17.8 x 13.6 inches. This means that even if you have a small kitchen, this unit can prove to be the perfect choice.
If you live in a household with seniors or with people who have vision problems, this can also be a good choice because of the dial control.
When it comes to cleaning and maintenance, this will also be an excellent choice. You do not have to exert too much effort in maintaining the unit in its peak condition. You might also love how it comes with a washable turntable.
Lastly, it can deliver up to 600 watts of power, which will allow it to generate heat quickly. To add, it is also a good thing that there are six power levels, making it versatile for a variety of applications.
- Simple control panel
- Economical price
- No digital clock
- Dial controls
When looking for compact microwave, it is important to find the perfect balance between size and capacity. It must be able to handle a good amount of food while being compact. In the case of this model, you might like how it has a capacity of .7 cubic feet, which is equivalent to 20 liters.
Looking at the overall design of the microwave, one that is worth noting is the handle. It is constructed with ergonomics in mind. It has a nice curve, which does not only help in its aesthetics, but will also make sure that it is easy to hold, regardless if you have a small or large hand.
Another thing that makes it impressive is the presence of 10 different levels of power. Regardless of the amount of heat that you will need for a specific task, you can set it and expect great outcomes.
There are also preset buttons, which will allow you to enjoy one-touch cooking. There are six buttons with dedicated functions. This will help in the elimination of guesswork as the unit automatically determine the time and level of heat needed for the task.
- Elegant and stylish design
- Ergonomic handle
- Heats quickly
- Door can easily crack
- Not as safe as others
One of the good reasons why you should choose this product above its competitors is the fact that it has Inverter Technology. The latter will give you the assurance of having consistently great outcomes. It is an innovative feature that ensures the even distribution of heat.
It is also worth noting that it comes with 950 watts of power, which is pretty much impressive compared to most of the compact microwaves. While this can provide you with a guarantee of its power, keep in mind that this also means that it will consume more energy.
In terms of features, you will have another good reason to love it. This model can offer versatility as a single appliance can do a lot. Some of its functions include Inverter Turbo Defrost, Auto Cook, Auto Reheat, and Keep Warm Feature.
There is also no need to worry about safety of its use, especially if there are kids around. It features a child safety lock. This will prevent unauthorized operation of the microwave, which comes handy when kids are often playing around the kitchen.
- Spacious interior
- Powerful heating performance
- Digital display can be hard to see
- High energy consumption
This is one of the smallest from the compact microwaves that we are recommending. While it can be a good thing that it has a space-efficient design, some people might find the .5 cubic feet capacity to be too small for their needs.
Among others, the tap touch controls are one of the best about this product. It might not be as advanced as a digital touchpad, but it is a good thing that they are easy to use, as well as easy to clean. Such is one of the reasons why it ranks well when it comes to being user-friendly.
You will also love this product if you are looking for versatility. It has 10 levels of power, which means that it will be able to generate varying temperatures or heat depending on what is required for a specific task. Whether it is defrosting or reheating leftovers, you can expect that it can deliver superior performance.
Lastly, there is also a control lock. This will disable the unit’s control panel, which will prevent kids from using it when you are not around.
- Made by a trusted brand
- Rugged construction
- Simple controls
- Can be too small for some users
- Quite expensive
With 900 watts of power, this is another option that deserves to be included in your list of choices for the best compact microwave. Aside from its impressive wattage, we also love how there are 10 power levels for a variety of tasks. Plus, there are six pre-set buttons for one-touch cooking functions.
It has a brushed stainless steel body, which can be considered as another asset of the product. It is excellent not only when it comes to durability, but also when you talk about aesthetics. It is sure to add a hint of elegance in the kitchen.
The unit comes with a green LED display, which is especially useful in monitoring time. However, especially in bright environments, you might struggle a bit in reading the display.
Lastly, we also loved how it comes with an easy to clean glass turntable. The latter has a diameter of 10.83 inches, which is big enough for most plates or bowls. It is also a good thing that it comes with a level cooking surface, which ensures the even distribution of heat.
- Has plenty of power
- Affordable price
- Aesthetically-pleasing design
- Can be quite noisy
- Display can be hard to see at times
In sum, the best compact microwave will prove to be an excellent addition in the kitchen. It is space-efficient, affordable, and multipurpose. You can use it in more ways than one, not only for reheating leftovers. Its many benefits, however, will only be apparent if you pick the right product.
If I have to choose only one from the five options that we have briefly discussed above, it would be Westinghouse WCM660B Counter-top Rotary Microwave Oven. It is made by a trusted brand, yet it comes with an affordable price. It is also a good thing that it has simple rotary dial controls, which will make it user-friendly.