Best Crepe Pan: Be a Gourmet Chef Even at Home
A lot of people may be intimidated over the idea of cooking crepe at home. Yes, it can be a challenging task, but if there is one thing that can help to make it easier, it would be having the best crepe pan. With the latter, it will be easy to achieve the best outcomes even if you are not a pro.
What crepe pan should you choose? Given the abundance of the options that are available, you should never choose just any product. You have to look beyond price and evaluate the features of the product. In this guide, we will provide you with valuable insights, making it easier for you to make the right decision.
Why You Need a Crepe Pan
Many of you will most probably wonder why is there a need for a different kind of pan. Can you not just use the same pan that you are using for frying in the kitchen? Unfortunately, this is not the case. You need to find a pan that is designed specifically for making crepes.
One thing that makes it different from the usual pan is that it is usually thinner. It is also necessary to have a non-stick coating, which will play a huge role in making sure that you achieve the perfect outcomes.
Why not a crepe maker? The latter can make the perfect crepe, but the problem is that they are expensive. For many people, it is way above their budget. Also, you might have hesitations if you know that you won’t be using it all the time.
In this post, however, we will give you a look not only at crepe pans, but also at crepe makers. Yes, they can be more expensive, but some people might prefer them because of their ease of use, plus the fact that temperature can easily be adjusted through its advanced controls.
Types of Crepe Pan
One of the best ways to categorize crepe pans is on the basis of the materials that are used. In this case, the following are some of the options that are available in the market:
- Hard Anodized Aluminum: Among other things, durability is the best thing about this type of pan. It has the strength that you can expect from steel and the excellent heat distribution that you can expect from an aluminum pan. It has a nonstick cooking surface and it is also dishwasher-safe, which makes it easy to clean.
- Aluminum: This is a lightweight and inexpensive option for a crepe pan. It is also a great conductor of heat. If there is one problem, it would be how the color tends to darken or fade after some time.
- Stainless Steel: Most of the pans using stainless steel as a main material is often complemented with aluminum or copper, which improves heating efficiency. This is because stainless steel distributes heat poorly.
- Cast Iron: The non-stick cooking surface is one good reason to use this as a crepe pan. It is also a good thing that it retains heat efficiently, which will have a positive impact on the quality of your crepe.
Choosing the Best Crepe Pan
As you try to narrow down the options that are available in the market, the following are some of the most important factors that should be taken into account:
- Pan Shape: The most common shape for a crepe pan is round, which only makes sense because this is also the shape of the crepe that you will most probably be making. See to it as well that the pan is flat-bottomed and the side walls must be short.
- Coating: The most important for the crepe pan is to have a non-stick coating. Choose one that has polytetrafluoroethylene coating, which prevents sticking. This will make sure that the crepe is smoother and won’t end up sticking.
- Handle: The design of the handle is another important feature of a crepe pan. One of the best materials is stainless steel, which is durable. It should also be riveted, which will make it easy for you to hold the pan. Another important thing is for the handle to not easily get hot.
- Size: In most cases, a 10-inch crepe pan will be more than enough. You will need one that is bigger and deeper if you intend to cook crepes with savory and sweet fillings.
- Settings: This is true not for the traditional crepe pans, but for crepe makers. It will be good if it comes with more temperature settings that would be easy to adjust. This means that you are always in control and you can experiment with different recipes.
- Reviews: If you are having a hard time differentiating the possibilities, it is best to rely on the opinions of other people. This means that you should read reviews from other users, most of which are available online. Their experiences and insights will make it easier to weigh the possibilities.
Making the Perfect Crepe
The right pan is just one part of the equation. Aside from this, keep these tips in mind to make the perfect crepe all the time:
- Find the right time to flip the crepe. Do not do it too soon or too late. To know if it is already the right time, see to it that it is not shiny and that the edges are already starting to brown. Doing it earlier will make it tear and doing it late will make it burnt.
- Make sure that the batter is consistent. Unlike in pancakes, there should be no lumpy parts. To be sure, it is best to use a blender when mixing the batter so that a higher pressure will be applied compared to doing it by hand.
- Use beer. This may seem odd for most of you, but it actually works in improving the consistency. However, be sure to do this sparingly. A light lager will be the best choice, which will improve the texture of the crepe and make it airy.
Interested in learning more about making the perfect crepe? The short video below will provide you with insights:
Top Picks for the Best Crepe Pan
Below, we will quickly look at five of the best models that are available in the marketplace, as well as the features that give them an advantage above many others.
Among others, one of the things you might like about this pan is the fact that it is versatile. While it is indeed excellent for making crepes, it can also be useful as a griddle. You can grill sandwiches, roast vegetables, and cook quesadillas as well. It will also be excellent for cooking in the campsite.
The mere fact that this is made from cast iron is already a good reason to choose this pan. It is perfect even for induction cooking. It may require pre-seasoning, but once this is done properly, you can expect the best from this pan, similar to what non-stick pans can deliver.
The sturdy handle is also a good thing. It is connected directly to the pan through one-piece construction, unlike others that are usually attached with screws. The handle also comes with a hole, which allows you to easily hang it.
There are some people who might complain about rusting, but such is a natural occurrence for cast iron the good news is that dealing with the latter is pretty much a straightforward task. All that you have to do is remove it with steel wool and rinse.
- Affordable price
- Multi-purpose pan
- Durable construction
- A bit heavy
- Can take quite some time to heat up
One of the things that you should note about this product is that it is not a crepe pan. Rather, it is a crepe maker. With this, it needs to be plugged in your supply of electricity, unlike the pans that can be used in stoves and induction cooker.
The 12-inch diameter of this crepe maker is a good size. You can flip crepes easily, even if they are quite big and if there are fillings.
Another feature that makes this a well-loved option is the presence of rubber feet, which is important in keeping the unit stable as it is used.
With 1,200 watts of power, it delivers exceptional performance, making sure that your crepe will be done in no time. It is also a good thing that it comes with convenient dial in the front, allowing you to choose from five pre-set temperature settings.
- Heats quickly
- Comes with a batter spreader
- Smooth and non-stick surface
- Can be a bit flimsy
- Need electricity to function
This is also a crepe maker, like the product previously mentioned, and not a crepe pan. It comes with an aluminum plate. The latter is also versatile as it can function as a griddle not only for crepes, but also for bacons and eggs, among others.
You might also like how it comes with five temperature settings. You can easily set the level of heat depending on what is required for what it is you are cooking.
Is it your first time to own a crepe maker? There is no need to worry. You might also love the fact that there is a recipe book included, which contains detailed recipes on how to prepare tasty crepes.
- Ample amount of cooking space
- Comes with a batter spreader
- Not as durable as others
- Hard to tell if it is turned on
The mere fact that this an is made by Cuisinart, one of the best brands for kitchen products, can already give you peace of mind. When it comes to its features, meanwhile, one of the best is the Quantanium interior. This is a patented technology that makes use of reinforced titanium in the cooking surface. This makes it a good choice for healthy cooking.
Design-wise, you might love how it comes with tapered rims. The main benefit that can be yielded by the latter is that it eliminates the possibility of dripping as you pour contents of the pan.
The riveted handle is also impressive, which makes it easy to hold the pan. It is made from stainless steel, which is known for its unmatched strength.
- Durable construction
- Made by a trusted brand
- Well-designed handle
- Not for induction cooking
- Can be prone to chipping
This crepe maker can be the perfect alternative for the traditional pan. The 12-inch cooking surface will provide you with more than enough space when cooking. This is also good not only for crepes, but even for eggs and pancakes, among others.
You might love how it comes with an adjustable heat setting, which you can set from the dial located in the front. You can choose from five levels of heat.
Lastly, it has the tools that you will need to get started, including a batter spreader and a spatula.
- Adjustable temperature
- High-power heating
- Comes with a batter spreader
- Can become super hot
- Not east to use
With the best crepe pan, it will be easy for you to turn into a gourmet chef even at the comfort of your own home. However, not all pans can yield the same benefits. From the materials to the design, from the coating to the handle, there are several factors that should be given careful thought before reaching a purchase decision.
From the five products that have been mentioned, if there is one that I can personally recommend, it would be Lodge L9OG3 Cast Iron Round Griddle. The use of cast iron is already exceptional. It also has one-piece construction, integrating the handle directly into the pan. The best thing is that despite all the good things, it is available at an affordable price.