Best Electric Griddle: A Handy Kitchen Appliance You Should Have
When it comes to must-have kitchen appliances, the best electric griddle is one of the essentials. A lot of people do not have it yet, despite the fact that it can deliver multiple functionalities, making you enjoy a delicious food in more ways than one.
If you are thinking of buying an electric griddle but clueless on which one makes the best choice, this guide will help you. We’ll discuss some of the most important critical considerations. We’ll also look at some of the best models available in the market, as well as their notable features.
Benefits of an Electric Griddle
Not convinced that you need to have an electric griddle at home? Below are some of the compelling reasons that might make you change your mind:
- Versatile: One of the best things about an electric griddle is that it delivers multiple functions in a single appliance. You can use it for hams, bacons, eggs, and pancakes, among others. It is excellent for frying, grilling, and sautéing, among other cooking methods.
- Healthy: If you are looking forward to transition into a healthier and fitter lifestyle, this is also an excellent investment. It has a non-stick cooking surface, which means that you can cook with minimal oil.
- Huge Surface Area: The generous size of an electric griddle is also a plus. This is bigger than a traditional frying pan, which means that there is a bigger space for cooking more at the same time.
- Easy to Use: Depending on the specific griddle that you will choose, you will love the fact that it is user-friendly. There is an adjustable thermostat, which will allow you to choose the temperature that is required by a specific recipe.
In the short video below, you will see a visual guide of how to cook perfect bacons and eggs through the use of an electric griddle, or also sometimes called an electric skillet.
Choosing the Best Electric Griddle
As you try to narrow down the possibilities that are available in the market, the following are some of the most important factors that you should take into consideration:
- Material: The choice of material is one of the most important considerations as it will be indicative of durability and functionality. With this, the following are the most common types of materials used for an electric griddle:
- Steel: Durability, ease of cleaning, and efficient heating are just some of the main benefits of steel, which makes it the most common material. However, it requires heavy maintenance since it can be easily prone to rusting.
- Cast Iron: If you are looking for a material that is more affordable than steel, this should be included in your list. However, some of its drawbacks include being prone to rusting and heavy.
- Chrome: The smooth surface of this griddle makes it ideal for eggs and pancakes, among others. Many people enjoy it as well because it is effortless to clean. You have to be careful when cleaning as it can be easily damaged by abrasives.
- Composite: Most of the composites are made using aluminum as the base material. Some of its benefits include efficient heat transfer and being lightweight. However, this may not necessarily be the best when it comes to durability.
- Size: Consider the amount of space that is available in the kitchen when deciding on the right size of the griddle to choose. It must be perfect for the amount of storage space that is available. To add, consider as well how many people you will be cooking for most of the time.
- Control: It is important for the electric griddle to have well-designed control, which will make it easy for you to make the necessary adjustments to set the temperature that is desired. You can choose from thermostatic or manual control. The former is the better option as it is more accurate.
- Cleaning: It is also important for an electric griddle to be easy to clean and maintain. This will help to extend its functional life and offer excellent value for money. In most cases, the parts are dishwasher-safe.
- Cooking Surface: This refers to the grilling plate that is integrated in the griddle. One of the most important is that it should have non-stick cooking surface. This means that you can cook with lesser oil and that it will be easier to clean as well.
- Drip Tray: This is an important part of the electric griddle that should not be ignored. This means that it will automatically catch fats and excess oil from whatever you will be cooking. This makes cleaning easy and also allows you to cook food in a manner that is healthy.
- Warming Drawer: Not all electric griddles have a warming drawer or tray. It is a handy feature because it will provide a dedicated space to keep the foods while you are still grilling some, making sure that it remains at its right temperature.
- Safety: You also have to pay attention to the safety features that are present in the griddle. One of the most important is for it to have a stable base, which means that it will not be prone to tripping.
- Warranty: This is an important consideration if you want to have peace of mind. A better option is one that comes with a more extensive warranty period. This means that you can expect free repair and replacement of parts if the product becomes defective.
Top Picks for the Best Electric Griddle
In this section, we will have a quick look at some of the brands and models that you will be confronted with.
This is the best choice if you want one that comes with an economical price. Despite its affordability, you can expect that the product will deliver premium quality and functionality.
Aside from its price, another thing that you can possibly find to be impressive is the cooking surface. It has a stick-free cooking surface, which also makes it a snap to clean. To add, it is also good in terms of size, allowing you to cook more at a time.
The griddle plate is made from cast aluminum, which delivers extreme durability. There is also a drip pan that is made from plastic. It catches oil from the surface, which lessens mess.
There is a heat control that is strategically-placed, which makes it easily accessible. It is also a good thing that the temperature adjusts automatically for the best outcomes without requiring too much effort on your end.
Lastly, it is also worth noting that it is capable of delivering up to 1,500 watts of power. This can provide you with rapid heating, making sure that you will be finished cooking in a snap.
- Comes with an affordable price
- Has a generous cooking space
- Premium nonstick cooking surface
- Discoloration can be apparent through time
- Hot spots can be experienced in the corners
This is made by one of the most trusted brands in the market of kitchen appliances, which should give you enough reason to have it considered above other choices. To add, despite this, it comes with an economical price.
It has an aluminum cooking tray, which comes with a non-stick coating. This makes cleaning effortless. It has a plastic frame and it is elevated from the countertop. There is also a gutter on the edge, which directs excess oil to the drip tray.
When it comes to temperature control, there is no need to worry as well. It has an adjustable thermostat, which will allow you to set temperature anywhere from 150 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on what you will be cooking.
Lastly, it is also a good thing that it heats up quickly, which minimizes the waiting time before your food is ready. Similar to the case of other electric griddles, however, one of its noticeable problems is the lack of heating consistency.
- Huge cooking area
- Affordable price
- Parts are dishwasher-safe
- Drip tray is small
- Heat distribution could be better
Among other things, the design of this product is one of the first things that will captivate your attention. It is not only an electric skillet or griddle. It can also double as a serving tray, especially in buffets. It can help to keep food warm.
It is also a good thing that it comes with a tempered glass cover with handle on the top, making it easy to lift. The glass is transparent, allowing you to monitor the progress of cooking. Because of the glass, flavor can be trapped inside.
With accurate temperature management, you can be assured of the right level of heat all the time. Plus, you will have complete control depending on what you need.
Lastly, this can be the perfect choice if you are looking for a product that offers versatility. Aside from frying, it can also be used for braising, baking, and grilling, among others. You can experiment with various recipes.
- Comes with a glass cover
- Has an elegant design
- Easy heat control system
- Base can be prone to slipping
- Does not come with a steam vent
Among other things, one of the most impressive in this product is its natural ceramic coating, providing it with a distinction above its competitors. The coating is free from toxic chemicals and also makes cleaning an easier task. The ceramic coating is also long-lasting, which is four times stronger compared to other coating materials.
It should also be noted that it cooks 20% quicker compared to most of the electric griddles that you can find in the market. This means that you can cook within a short span of time, and best of all, it will deliver exceptional energy efficiency.
The cooking surface has dimensions of 10 x 18 inches. This will allow you to cook family-sized meals in one go. However, this can also be a problem. This is because it requires a lot of space.
There is also a warming tray. This will keep your food warm until you consume it.
- Perfect even for family-sized meals
- Comes with a warming tray
- Cooks food quickly
- Cooking surface seems uneven
- Requires a large space
One of the best features of this electric griddle is the ability to tilt. All that you need is to pull the handle outwards and this will tilt the griddle. Push the handle and it will return to its normal position. This makes it effortless to remove excess oil that has accumulated on the cooking surface.
It also has Control Master Heat Control. This means that you will be in complete control of the level of heat that is produced by the unit. You can adjust it depending on what is needed by your recipe. Once it is set, it will retain the said temperature unless you make adjustments.
The generous size of the griddle is also a plus. Based on the specifications from the manufacturer, they claim that the cooking surface is 50% bigger compared to its leading competitors.
- Durable construction
- Has an option to be tilted
- Nonstick cooking surface
- Does not stay stable
- Cleaning can be tricky
Indeed, the best electric griddle is one of the essential appliances that can be useful in more ways than one. The sky is the limit when it comes to how you can use it. To take advantage of its many benefits, however, you need to be a responsible buyer. Be sure to do your research to see how one product is better than all others.
From the five products mentioned above, one that stands out from the rest is Presto 07061 Electric Griddle. Among others, the affordable price is one of the reasons why you might want to include this in your list of choices. It comes with a nonstick cooking surface, easy to adjust temperature control, and it is also effortless to clean.