Best Masticating Juicer: A Healthy Way to Prepare your Juice
In recent years, juicing has gained reputation as one of the best ways to transition into a healthier and fitter lifestyle. With this, the popularity of juicers has been unequalled. Manufacturers have been introducing new products and developing innovative technologies to be ahead of their competitors. While there are different types that are available, a masticating juicer is the best.
What exactly is a masticating juicer? How do you choose one? What is the best masticating juicer that is available in the market? If you have these questions at the back of your mind, we are here to extend a helping hand. Keep on reading the rest of this post and we will provide you with an enlightenment on everything about a masticating juicer.
What is a Masticating Juicer?
There are two types of juicers that are available in the market – centrifugal and masticating juicer. Between the two, centrifugal juicer is commonly the cheaper option. Its speed is usually from 3,000 to 16,000 RPM, which means that it is quick. The outcome is that there will be more foam and nutrients will be lost.
A better option is a masticating juicer, which is also known as a low-speed juicer. The speed is usually just within 40 to 160 RPM. It comes with a single auger, which is the one that is responsible for the extraction of the pulp from the ingredients.
The short video below will show you more about the differences of the two juicers:
Why Choose a Masticating Juicer?
If you are not convinced that a masticating juicer is the better option, below are some of its benefits, which might just change your mind:
- Healthier Juice: If there is only one reason why masticating juicer is best, it would be the fact that it retains the nutrients and enzymes in the juice, making it possible to maximize the health benefits of the ingredients that you have used.
- Juice Lasts Longer: The gentle and slow juicing process means that it does not produce too much heat, and hence, prolonging the shelf life of the juice. Provided that you pay attention to its proper storage, the juice can last for up to 72 hours.
- Natural Taste: Your juice will taste as close as possible to the flavor of the fresh ingredients that you have used. The reason for this is that the juicer slows down the oxidation, which is also why the juice can last longer.
- High Juice Yield: Another good reason to choose a masticating juicer is the fact that the yield is 30% higher compared to what you can expect from a centrifugal juicer. This means that while using lesser ingredients, you can produce more juice.
Choosing the Best Masticating Juicer
To easily narrow down the possibilities that you can possibly find in the market, below are some of the most important factors you have to take into consideration:
- Ease of Use: A good masticating juicer must have user-friendly features. The control panel must have buttons that are strategically-positioned. The manufacturer must also provide comprehensive instructions and even a recipe book to help you get started in making healthy juices.
- Speed: Slower speed is better, especially for a masticating juicer. This means that it may take quite a while for the juice to be ready, but the good thing is that it does not produce too much heat and oxidation, two of the reasons why your juice will end up being healthier.
- Maintenance: The masticating juicer must be a snap to clean and maintain. A good thing to have is a reverse feature, which will allow you to effortlessly get rid of debris that could be clogged in the juicer. It will also be good if it is dishwasher-safe.
- Noise: A lot of juicers are known for being noisy when they operate. Choose one that produces low noise, which means that it will never be a disruption in anyway. This is especially important if you live in a small space.
- Capacity: Think about how you intend to use the juicer. If it is for personal use, a small juicer will be more than enough. On the other hand, if you live in a large household, choose a bigger juicer so that you will be able to produce more within a short span of time.
- Chute: The size of the feeding chute is also an important consideration. It will be better if the chute has a wider opening which means that you can insert more ingredients easily. This also means that you do not have to chop the fruits and vegetables into small portions.
- Versatility: If you want to be provided with the best bang for the buck, choose a multi-functional masticating juicer. This means that you must be able to use it not only for juicing, but also for extruding pasta, creating nut butter, and grinding coffee, among others.
- Design: You do not need to hide the juicer in the kitchen cabinet. With this, choose one that comes with an attractive design that will perfectly complement the overall look of the kitchen.
- Orientation: If you have a small kitchen, a vertical masticating juicer is more space-efficient, making it a good choice. On the other hand, if you will be juicing leafy greens most of the time, you are better off with a horizontal juicer.
- Warranty: The standard warranty is one year. Pick a product that comes with a longer warranty coverage. If possible, the manufacturer must extend a lifetime warranty coverage, which will be reflective of their belief in the quality of their product.
Top Picks for the Best Masticating Juicer
If you are wondering which one makes the best choice, this section will identify the top products available in the market, as well as some of the convincing reasons on why they are better than many others.
Among others, one thing that we love the most about this product is how user-friendly it is. Right out of the box, you do not need to waste a lot of time in its assembly. When it comes to operating and maintaining the unit, you will not have to exert too much effort as well.
With a low speed of 80 RPM, you can expect that this juicer will be able to liquefy the ingredients, but the vitamins and minerals will be retained. There will also be no foaming and heat since this is a low-speed juicer.
It will be an excellent addition to the kitchen because it will prove to be a multipurpose appliance. While it can be used primarily for preparing healthy juices, it can also be used for nut butter, food processing, extruding pasta, or grinding spices.
Lastly, it comes with GM Ultem Auger, which is made from lightweight plastic. Even if the material is plastic, it is not flimsy at all. In fact, based on the product details from the manufacturer, it is eight times stronger compared to conventional augers.
- Offers complete extraction of nutrients
- Easy to assemble, use, and clean
- Screen can be prone to clogging
- May not accommodate larger chunks
One of the things that will make this an impressive choice is the fact that it performs two stages of juicing for the optimal outcome. It starts with the initial extraction of the juice and is followed by pressing the pulp afterwards. This improves the juice yield while also making sure that the nutrients are retained in the juice.
Many were also impressed with how the product comes with 15 years of warranty from the manufacturer. They will replace the defective parts and offer free repair within the warranty period, provided that you have agreed with their terms and conditions.
The product is inclusive of high-quality containers that are made from food-grade plastic, providing you with the assurance that they will not be toxic in any way.
Lastly, it is also worth noting that the juice that is made with the use of this masticating juicer can be stored for up to 72 hours. Because it is made from a low-speed juicer, you can be confident that the juice will not suffer from contamination.
- Compact size
- Operates without making a loud noise
- Produces juice with low foam
- Narrow chute
- Ingredients can be prone to jamming
With 900 wats of power, you can be sure that this will offer a reliable juicing performance. After all, it is made by Breville, which happens to be one of the most trusted brands within the product category. To top it all, it comes with a price that will not hurt your wallet.
Looking at its features, one thing that we find impressive is the fact that there are five speeds that are available. This makes it offer versatility as you can choose the speed of juicing depending on the ingredients used and the consistency that is desired.
When it comes to durability, this is also going to be an exceptional pick. The use of premium steel and alloy in its different parts will provide you with an assurance that it will withstand long-term and frequent use.
Lastly, there are also several safety features for your peace of mind. For instance, there is a locking arm that will prevent the juicer from starting unless the cover is on. There is also protection from overheating to prolong the life of the internal components and to prevent electrical hazards.
- Made by a trusted brand
- Reasonable price
- Top lid might easily crack
- Poor customer service
One thing that makes this juicer a stand out is the fact that its chute comes with a generous size. This means that you will be able to feed even larger chunks of ingredients. There is no need no break it down into smaller pieces. The juicer will do the job for you.
Another benefit of this juicer is that it can resist clogging, regardless of the fruits and vegetables that you will be juicing. This ensures its continuous operation, sparing the user from frustration.
In terms of versatility, this can also prove to be an impressive choice. You can use a wide array of ingredients and be confident that the outcome will be superior. Even for green and leafy vegetables, its juicing performance will be exceptional.
Lastly, it is also worth noting that it comes with a drip-free cap. The latter minimizes the possibility that juice will overflow and that it will create mess.
- Extra wide chute
- Made from top materials
- Inclusive of several extras
- Minimal juice yield
- Short warranty
If budget is the most important concern, this is one product that should be on the top of the list. This is the cheapest from the five products that we have mentioned in this post. Despite this, you can expect the juicer to deliver decent functionality.
This is also excellent in terms of energy-efficiency. It is powerful and reliable, yet you can be assured that this is not a power-hungry kitchen appliance.
It comes with a digital control panel, which is one of the reasons why it ranks well in being user-friendly. You can choose from two speed options. There is also a reverse function, which will be useful when it comes to cleaning particles that have lodged in its chute.
Lastly, there is a cleaning brush that is included. With the latter, you can easily get rid of dirt and debris that could possibly lead to clogging.
- Affordable price
- Easy to use
- Comes with its own cleaning brush
- Extractor can frequently get jammed
- Small mouth
Now that you are done reading this guide about the best masticating juicer, we hope that you can easily make the right choice. If you will ask for my personal opinion, I believe that Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Masticating Dual Stage Juicer is the clear winner. It is user-friendly and can produce high-quality, nutritious juices, making it a great product!