Best Oranges for Juicing: Read This Guide Before You Buy
Juicing is one of the best ways to have a healthy lifestyle without depriving yourself of the delicious treats that you can enjoy. It can be beneficial in more ways than one, but these benefits will largely depend on the ingredients that you will be using. With this, while there are many fruits that you can choose, oranges are amongst the best.
What are the best oranges for juicing? In case you are wondering, keep on reading the rest of this post and we’ll let you know. We hope that this guide will help you to choose oranges that are not only good for your health, but also those that will yield mouthwatering juice!
Health Benefits of Oranges
With the long list of options for the fruits that will make a nice choice for juicing, why oranges? They are not only great-tasting, but they also have an abundance of health benefits, which include the following:
- Protects from Cancer: It can be effective in the prevention of cancer, which can be attributed to the citrus limonoids. To be specific, they will be instrumental in preventing cancer of the breast, skin, lung, and colon, among others.
- Improvement of Skin Health: If you want to have glowing skin and to defy the visible signs of aging, oranges can be a big help. They can offer protection from UV radiation, as well as from the viruses and bacteria that could possibly cause stress to the skin.
- Prevention of Diabetes: For diabetics, they are not able to absorb glucose. Eating oranges, even in the form of juice, will be good because of its high glycemic index and high fiber. If using it for juicing, avoid using artificial sugar.
- Boosts Immunity: One of the best reasons to make oranges a part of your daily life is the fact that they increase the defense of the body against health problems. This is primarily because of the Vitamin C in oranges.
- Improves Vision: Orange is a good source of Vitamin A, which is why it is also good for the eyesight. It promotes healthier mucus membranes in the eyes and prevents macular degeneration as a result of aging.
- Prevents Heart Disease: To have a stronger heart and to lessen the likelihood of suffering from cardiovascular health problems, oranges should be a part of your daily diet. It has antioxidants that can prevent free radical damage and lowers cholesterol.
- Helps in Brain Development: The folic acid in oranges allows it to be instrumental as well in improving mental development. With this, it is also great for pregnant women as this will prevent the baby from having neurological disorders.
- Aids in Weight Loss: Juicing is popular for people who would love to lose weight. With this, oranges are great because they are rich in fiber, which will make you feel full and will lessen the tendency to crave. They also improve digestion.
Here’s a short video recapping the health benefits of oranges:
Types of Oranges for Juicing
When choosing from the best oranges for juicing, it is important to be familiar with the different varieties that are available. Know about their flavor so that you can decide which is best for the juice that you will make:
- Navel Oranges: This variety is great for a refreshing and sweet juice. It has a sweet flavor comparable to a candy, which is why it is great for juicing. Also, because it is seedless, this also makes a great choice for an orange that can be eaten on its own.
- Valencia Oranges: Most of the commercial orange juices that you can find in the market are made from this variety, which is why it is perhaps the best for juicing. They have a thin skin and heavy juice, which is why you can expect optimal yield from each fruit.
- Blood Oranges: This is a good choice if you want juice with an exotic flavor. It has more bite compared to most of the oranges. It has a bloody color, which is because it contains anthocyanin.
- Clementine: These small oranges have a glossy skin, which makes it look cute. Despite being small, it can still be used for juicing, especially because they are seedless. They are also easy to peel and can be eaten on the go.
- Tangerines: Often confused with clementine, tangerine is usually lighter in color and a bit larger. It contains synephrine, which is also known as bitter orange. The latter is good for weight loss, which makes it a great option for healthy juices.
How to Tell if an Orange is Good
Let us say that you have ordered oranges online. Once they arrive, do not immediately juice them. Instead, take time to perform a quick visual inspection and pay attention to the things that will be mentioned below. It will help you to determine if you have good or bad oranges.
- Make sure that they have a bright color, although not necessarily bright orange. For Valencia oranges, for instance, they can have a greenish hue, which is because of the absorption of chlorophyll. If the oranges look pale, they may be a bad batch.
- Grab the oranges by the hand and feel its weight. Heaviness of the fruit will indicate the amount of juice. Therefore, if it is heavier, it is more likely that it will be able to yield more juice.
- If the oranges feel soft, this can be a sign of rotting. Pay attention to the possible changes in color. If there are molds or brown spots, take this as a sign that the oranges are no longer fresh.
- It will also be good to smell the orange to determine if is still fresh. If it is fresh, there will be a zesty smell. On the other hand, if it is already bad, it will have a fermented and foul odor.
Tips in Juicing Oranges
Aside from choosing the best oranges, the following are some useful tips that will help you to prepare the best juice:
- Do not add sugar or any artificial sweetener. If you want it sweeter, add honey. After all, most oranges are already sweet and hence, you do not need to add anything that could negate the health benefits of the fruit.
- If you want to increase the juice yield from every fruit, one simple trick that will work is to roll the fruit on the countertop before slicing. This will help in breaking the membranes that hold most of the juices from the fruit.
- If you will manually squeeze juice out of the fruit, use a spoon to scoop out the pulp and add it to the juice, which will make your drink more nutritious. To add, the pulp is nice because it will add texture to your drink.
- Be sure to not include the skin of the fruit when juicing. They are not only bitter, but they contain compounds that can be harmful when ingested in large doses. They can also cause indigestion.
Top Picks for the Best Oranges for Juicing
To make things easier for you, we are listing in this section five of the best oranges that you might want to consider, as well as some of the reasons why they stand out above all others.
A lot of people might say that this is not a sweet orange. Yes, that is true, but this should not be a reason for you to not buy it. Remember, this is a blood orange. In case you do not know, such type of orange has more tart than sweet flavor.
While these oranges will be great for a healthy juice, the applications will be endless. Because of its variety, it is best paired with food rather than being eaten on its own. To add, this will also be a good choice for martini, margarita, and other cocktails.
There is no need to worry that the oranges will rot while they are in transit. With every purchase, you will also be eligible for free two-day priority mail. This means that it won’t take a long time before your oranges arrive in your doorsteps.
Lastly, if you are still not convinced to buy this, you will love the fact that the manufacturer is offering a guarantee of satisfaction. When you receive the oranges, they are sure to be fresh. Otherwise, just get in touch with the manufacturer and they will extend a refund without any condition.
- Red and juicy
- Has the perfect ripeness
- Has high juice yield
- Not as sweet
- May easily rot
If you are looking for cute and small oranges, this is the perfect choice for you. Even for juicing, you will not have a problem with these oranges. They have high yield, despite their small size. Nonetheless, you might need a few of these oranges for your juice.
It is also worth noting that these oranges are custom-grown in the United States. This is one thing that can make you confident that they are safe. The company follows stringent global standards in their oranges to provide nothing but superior quality.
Lastly, it is also worth noting that the oranges are World Class Grade A Clementines, which is an assurance that they are indeed great oranges. This should be more than enough to guarantee your satisfaction.
- Tasty and juicy
- Has a guarantee of satisfaction
- Easy to peel
- Minimal user reviews
One of the best things about this is that you do not only have juicy oranges that you can use for making a healthy juice, but you will have tangerines as well, which are good even to be eaten on their own. The latter tastes much like candy, making it perfect for people with a sweet tooth.
Regardless if you are peeling the oranges or the tangerine, you can do so easily and quickly. These are easy peeling varieties, which will make it a snap to take of the skin before juicing.
Each box of the oranges and tangerines will weigh approximately 18 pounds.
- Fresh and sweet
- Does not easily become soft
- Comes as a set of oranges and tangerines
- Minimal reviews
If you have hesitations in choosing these oranges, one thing that can possibly change your mind is the fact that they are Grade A Organic Oranges. This means that they are top of the line fruits. More so, because they are organic, you can be confident that they will indeed be great for your health.
These oranges are seedless. With this, they are great for juicing since no seeds will get mixed with your juice. To add, they are also easy to be eaten on your own.
To guarantee the freshness of the oranges that you will receive, the manufacturer provides priority mail. This means that within two to three days, the product will be delivered to your address. This is unlike others that could take several days, and hence, they can also possibly rot while they are in transit.
- Natural and organic
- Easy to peel
- World-class oranges
- Not as sweet
These sun-drenched oranges are sure to provide a pocket of sunshine to anyone who will be drinking its juice. From the color of the skin to the inside of the fruit, you can be guaranteed that they are indeed fresh. After all, these are Class A oranges.
When it comes to shipping, there is also no need to worry. There is a free USPS Priority Mail, making sure that you will receive the oranges in no time. The manufacturer also provides containers to avoid the oranges from deforming during transit.
- Comes with a guarantee of satisfaction
- Tasty and sweet
- A bit expensive
Indeed, oranges are amongst the best fruits that you can use for a healthy and delicious juice. It is packed with vitamins and minerals that will be beneficial in more ways than one. From the best oranges for juicing mentioned above, which one should you pick? Personally, I’d say that Fresh Blood Oranges from Jiro’s Garden stands out from all others.