Best Pancake Griddle: An Easy Way to Make Fluffy, Delicious Pancakes
What is the best way to start your mornings? For many, I am sure that you will agree with me when I say that nothing beats having a hearty breakfast. In this case, pancakes are staples. A stack of golden pancakes drenched in sweet maple syrup will surely be a great start for a productive day ahead.
If you love pancakes, you should invest in a high-quality griddle. Given the abundance of the options that are available, which one should you pick? Keep on reading the rest of this post and we’ll let you know some of the top choices for the best pancake griddle.
Types of Pancake Griddle
Before anything else, you will first need to decide the type that will work best for your needs. In this case, the following are the options that you will be confronted with:
- Electric Pancake Griddle
- Stove-top Pancake Griddle
This model comes with a built-in heating element. It needs to be plugged in a power source to function. It is known to be user-friendly as there is a control that will allow you to set the level of heat. However, this is usually an expensive option.
If you are looking for a cheaper option, this should be on the top of your list. It looks like a skillet and can also function as one. It is normally made from cast iron, which is known for its excellent ability to distribute heat evenly.
Choosing the Best Pancake Griddle
If you are still having a hard time deciding which one to purchase, the following are some of the most important factors that you need to consider:
- Size: Do you live on your own? Do you live in a household with a large family? How many pancakes do you often eat? How much space is available in the kitchen? These are just some of the questions that will help you to determine what size is best.
- Versatility: It will also be good to choose a multipurpose pancake griddle. This means that you will be able to use the griddle in more ways than one, such as for steaks, burgers, and veggies. Some can even double as a hotplate or a skillet.
- Ease of Use: Make sure that the pancake griddle is as user-friendly as possible. If it is an electric type, make sure that there is a strategically positioned control. It is also important that it is easy to clean and maintain.
- Material: Pay attention to the materials that are used since they will be directly related to the durability of the griddle. Anodized aluminum is scratch-resistant and non-toxic. Cast iron, especially for stovetop griddles, will be excellent in terms of heat distribution.
- Nonstick Coating: Speaking of the materials that are used in the griddle, another thing that is necessary is to have a nonstick coating surface. This does not only make cleaning easier, but this also makes you cook better pancakes, knowing that they won’t stick on the surface.
- Heat Distribution: Regardless of the type of the pancake griddle that you will choose, it is important to make sure that it will distribute heat evenly. This will avoid having hotspots. There is also a lesser likelihood that your pancake will end up being burnt.
- Maintenance: There are some parts that are dishwasher-safe, while there are also others that are only for handwashing. For electric models, be sure to remove the control unit and to not submerge it in water. Read the instructions from the manufacturer to know the right way of cleaning the griddle.
- Warranty: This is especially important in the case of electric griddle. Within the warranty coverage, you can rely on the support from the manufacturer. They can provide free replacement of parts or repairs in case the product becomes defective.
Tips in Making Pancakes
Having the right griddle is just the tip of the iceberg. If you want to make the best fluffy pancakes at the comfort of your own home, the following are some of the things that you have to keep in mind:
- Do not overmix the batter. A lot of you might think that it is best if there are no lumps. However, this is not the case. Just make sure that the wet and dry ingredients will be thoroughly mixed. It is alright to have lumps. This will still make sure that the pancakes will be soft and fluffy.
- Everything good takes time, and hence, will be worth the wait. This holds true even in the case of pancakes. With this, allow the batter to rest before starting to cook. It will be good to wait up to half an hour. This will let the ingredients settle. Some people even wait for 24 hours.
- Know when it is already the right time to flip to cook the other side of the pancake. The best time to do it is when the top has already turned golden brown and when bubbles start to form.
- Avoid pressing the pancake with the spatula. Some people think that this will speed up the cooking process, but this does not actually do any good. This will prevent the pancake from being fluffy.
- It is also good to have a test batch, which will allow you to gauge the outcome. Be sure to spread the batter with just the right thickness. A test batch will also allow you to determine if the level of heat or consistency of batter is right, among other things.
- Now that your pancakes are ready, do not ruin everything by choosing the right syrup. Be sure to find one to complement the taste of your pancakes. 100% maple syrup is the best choice. Stay away from those that are made from fake sweeteners.
Below are other cooking tips that will instantly make you an expert in the kitchen:
Top Picks for the Best Pancake Griddle
Unsure of which product to choose? In this section, we will have a quick look at some of the options that you might want to consider, as well as some of their most notable features.
Among other things, the large cooking area of this griddle is perhaps one of its best features. Yes, this means that it will consume more space. However, this is a good thing since it will allow you to cook more pancakes at a given time.
Design-wise, it is also a good thing that the handles are removable. This reduces the size of the pancake griddle and makes it easy to store since it is space-efficient.
It also has non-stick and textured surface for cooking. You can be confident that the pancakes will be smooth and will not end up sticking on the surface. This also simplifies the process of cooking.
The master heat control has a strategic position, which is one of the reasons why it can prove to be user-friendly. The latter makes it easy to maintain the right temperature that is required for cooking the pancakes.
Lastly, it is also fully-immersible in water, making it easy to clean. However, take note that you have to take out the control unit.
- Nonstick coating
- Comes with a drip tray
- Easy to use
- Heating can sometimes be uneven
- Can be prone to chipping
If you are looking for simplicity and affordability, this is an option that should be part of your list. It is the perfect choice for budget-conscious buyers. However, one of the problems with this griddle is that it is not electric, which means that you have to use it in a stove top.
With cast iron construction, you can expect that this will be an exceptional choice when it comes to durability. It is made from a solid material that is meant to withstand the test of time. The handle is also solidly incorporated to the rest of the griddle, making it more durable.
You might also love how it comes pre-seasoned. Right out of the box, it is ready to be used. Also, this means that you can use minimal oil when using the griddle.
Lastly, if you want to have peace of mind, it is a good thing that the manufacturer is offering limited lifetime warranty. At any point, if you are unhappy, just get in touch with the manufacturer and they will provide a replacement for the griddle.
- Affordable price
- Lifetime warranty
- Sturdy construction
- Not electric
- A bit heavy
This is another option that can prove to be perfect if you are looking for a large cooking area. With dimensions of 20 x 10.4 inches, you will be able to cook more pancakes at once, making it perfect for families.
Versatility is another reason why you might want to consider this above all others. The smooth side can be used when you are cooking pancakes. On the other hand, there is also a ridged side, which will be excellent for hamburgers and sausages.
It is also a good thing that the griddle is already pre-seasoned. After taking it out of the box, you can already use it without worrying that food will end up sticking.
Cast iron, the main material that is used in this griddle, is also a plus. This is an excellent choice because it can offer a high level of durability.
- High-quality construction
- Huge cooking area
- Hard to clean
- Uneven cooking
Made by one of the most trusted brands in the market, you can be confident that this will be hard to rival when it comes to quality and functionality. Aside from its brand name, another thing that we loved is how it is a family-sized griddle, which will allow you to do more within a short span of time.
There is a temperature control on the side of the griddle. This makes it possible to adjust the level of heat depending on what is required by your pancakes or with anything else that you will cook in this griddle.
This is also an excellent choice if you are looking for a product that will be effortless to clean. The top part is removable and can be submerged in water. The nonstick cooking surface also contributes in making cleaning a lot easier.
- Large size
- Solid construction
- Heats quickly
- Short cord
- Uneven distribution of heat
This is another electric griddle that is sure to make your life easier, allowing you to prepare fluffy pancakes in an instant. It has 1,200 watts, which shows that it has high-power heating. You do not need to wait for a long time before your pancake is ready to be devoured.
Value for money – this is one thing that you can expect from this product. It is a good thing that it comes with a reasonable price, but it is even made better by the fact that it already comes with batter and spatula, which will make it useful for crepes as well.
The temperature control is also impressive, which is one of the reasons why it ranks well in terms of being user-friendly. Simply turn the knob in the front to choose the level of heat that is desired.
- Comes with a spatula and batter
- Can also double as a hot plate
- Surface can be easily scratched
- Takes quite a while to heat up
The best pancake griddle is one thing that you should have. It is a multifunctional appliance that can be used beyond making fluffy pancakes. You can also use it for eggs, sausages, bacons, patties, and crepes, among others. It can be beneficial in more ways than one, but this will only be the case if you pick the right product.
From the five products that we have mentioned above, if there is only one that I can personally recommend, it would be Presto 07061 Electric Griddle. Since it is electric, it is an easy to use griddle. For sure, your mornings will be a lot better if you have this in the kitchen!