Best Sharpening Stones: Helping Keep Your Knives at their Best
Knives are some of the most over-used tools that you can find in the kitchen. While they are sharp and effortless to use after taking out of the box, through time, it is inevitable that the blades will turn dull. Should you throw the knives at such point and buy a new one? A better and more economical solution is to sharpen the knife to restore its functionality.
To bring your knife back to life, you need to choose from the best sharpening stones that are available in the market. For a long time now, sharpening stones have proven to be reliable and effective, even if using them will require quite an effort on your end. If you are clueless about what to choose, keep on reading the rest of this guide.
Types of Sharpening Stones
Before anything else, you first need to think about which type is perfect for your needs. With this, we’ll start this post with a quick discussion on three of the most popular types that are available.
As the name implies, this type makes use of water for lubrication. This is a good choice because water is readily-available out of the faucet. This can work excellently in having refined edges. Also, another benefit is that it does not leave any oily residue on the knives that you will sharpen.
With this type, oil is used as a lubricant. This is the traditional choice for Westerners. While it may work slowly compared to others, it still does a great job in making sure that the outcomes will be perfect. There are three materials that are commonly used for this type of sharpening stone – silicon carbide, aluminum oxide, or Novaculite.
This might be the most expensive from the three, but this is also the best when it comes to their sharpening performance. They make use of small diamonds that are attached to a metal on the surface. The hardness of the diamond makes it a material that is hard to rival if we are going to talk about durability.
Essential Factors to Consider
To make it easier for you to arrive at the right decision, below are some of the things that you should take into account:
- Feedbacks: A good starting point would be reading reviews of other people. You can go online and see what others have to say about a specific product. With this, you will have a better idea of how one option is different from all others.
- Ease of Use: Using a sharpening stone requires you to do things manually. Pick one that will allow you to do so in the easiest manner that is possible. One of the most important is to have an even surface, which will make sharpening require lesser effort on your end.
- Safety: Pay attention to the safety features that are incorporated in the sharpening stone. It must have a stable base. The latter will make sure that it will remain steady on the surface and there is lesser likelihood that you will hurt yourself. Some models have a nonslip platform to make sure of its stability.
- Size: This is important because it will have a direct impact on convenience when using the knife sharpener. A larger surface area is better, although you also need to think about the size of the knives that you will be sharpening.
- Versatility: To be versatile, one of the most important is for sharpening stone to have two-sided grit. One side should be coarse and the other side should be fine. This will make it easier for you to sharpen different types of knives and be assured of the best outcomes.
- Maintenance: Choose a sharpening stone that requires minimal effort and maintenance. This means that without having to do a lot, you can be confident that it will remain functional even through the years. Pay attention to the instructions from the manufacturer to properly clean the sharpening stone.
- Construction: Aside from being made from excellent materials, it should also be durable, which will allow it to withstand the test of time. It must be able to resist external damages, such as chipping and corrosion, among other problems. If it lasts longer, it will be able to provide the best value for your money.
- Price: It is undeniable that a lot of us are budget-conscious. Yes, there is nothing wrong about thinking about the price, but this should not be taken as an excuse to pick one product only because it is the cheapest. At the end of the day, quality should be the more important consideration.
Cleaning and Maintenance of Sharpening Stones
To make sure that your sharpening stone will demonstrate extended functional life, the following are some of the things that you have to do:
- If clogging is a problem with your sharpening stone, brake cleaners are excellent because of their ability to naturally degrease the surface. An automatic transmission fluid is also a promising solution for cleaning, especially for diamond stones. Mineral oil, which can be diluted, will also be an excellent choice for cleaning sharpening stones.
- Do not scrub the sharpening stone using bare hands. Always use protective gloves. The edges can be too rough, and hence, you might end up being injured.
- You also have to pay attention to proper storage. Make sure that the sharpening stone is completely dry before keeping it. Wrap it or keep it in a box, which will make it less prone to external elements that could negatively impact its quality.
The short video below will show you more about cleaning a sharpening stone:
Top Picks for the Best Sharpening Stones
If you are having a hard time deciding which one will make the best choice, this section will provide you with a quick look at some of the best products that are currently available in the market.
Among others, one of the best features that you can expect from this product is the plastic base. The latter is great in terms of holding the sharpening stone and hence, making it stable. This makes it easier to complete the task while also prioritizing your safety.
It is also a good thing that it offers versatility. One side of the sharpening stone has 1,000 grits, which is perfect for sharpening and smoothening the blade. Meanwhile, the other side has 6,000 grits, which can be used for honing the blade.
Another thing that is impressive in this product is the fact that it is made using an authentic Japanese whetstone. This should be enough to provide you with an assurance that it will deliver long-term functionality and the best capability to sharpen your knives.
Lastly, the size of the sharpening stone is also a plus. It is compact enough, making it easy to keep it in the cabinet when not being used. However, it is not too small and will guarantee that there is enough space to sharpen your knife.
- Compact design
- Made from premium materials
- Easy to use
- Directions are written in Japanese
- Can be prone to clogging
A lot of people might stay away from this product because of its expensive price. Nonetheless, its high cost can be justified by the fact that it is bundled with different inclusions, such as a bamboo base and an angle guide. There is also a comprehensive written guide for sharpening knives.
In terms of safety, this can also be an excellent choice. It is a good thing that it comes with a silicone base, which holds the sharpening stone in a bamboo platform. This will make sure that it is not going to move when you are sharpening knife.
It is also a good thing that it is a double-sided sharpening stone. This is one thing that contributes to the versatility of the product. From sharpening to honing blades, you can be confident that it will be able to do the job in an exceptional manner.
The size of the sharpening stone is also impressive. It has dimensions of 9.2 x 4.3 x 2.7 inches. This makes it space-efficient, yet there is more than enough space for sharpening knife.
- Comes with a non-slip base
- Excellent grit combo
- Can be used for different types of blades
- Expensive price
- Requires quite an effort for maintenance
Are you looking for a product that comes with an affordable price? If you are, this should be on the top of your list. With its economical price, this is perfect for those who do not want to spend a lot but also unwilling to compromise functionality and quality.
Aside from its price, it is also a good thing that it comes with two sides, although it is not as excellent as the two products that we have earlier mentioned. There is a 150-grit side while the other is 250-grit. This makes it a versatile choice for a sharpening stone.
Before using this product, it is also important to note that this is made from aluminum oxide. While it can be effective for sharpening knives, make sure that it is oiled. Proper lubrication is necessary to make it function at its peak.
- Affordable price
- Simple to use
- Easy to hold
- Does not come with a base
- Some parts are raised
At such an affordable price, it is a good thing that you will be able to enjoy versatility with the use of this product since there are two sides. The 3,000-grit coarse side is ideal for sharpening. On the other hand, the 8.000-grit fine side is ideal for polishing the blade.
The material of choice that is used in this sharpening stone can also be seen as a plus. It can resist heat and corrosion, making it easy to retain its peak condition even after a long time of use.
It is also a good thing that it comes with silicone base, making sure that it will be able to resist slipping. Since it remains steady on the base, you can use it without having to worry about safety.
Lastly, it comes with a 100% satisfaction-guarantee, which should provide you with peace of mind. Within 30 days, if you are unhappy in any way with the product, you can return it to the manufacturer and they will provide you with an unconditional refund.
- Has a money-back guarantee
- Lightweight and compact
- Excellent grip
- Not for serrated blades
- Can create a hollow
This is another option that should be included in your list if price is an important consideration. Despite being budget-friendly, it is a good thing that it comes with two surfaces for sharpening, making it able to deliver excellent performance in different kinds of knives.
The rubber bottom of this knife sharpener is also a plus, especially when it comes to safety. This means that you can be confident that it will be stable on the surface as you sharpen knife on the top of the stone. Safety is not a thing that you have to worry about.
In terms of construction, it is made from corundum. The latter allows it to deliver great sharpening results, although its durability is not as impressive as what you can expect from its competitors.
- Two-sided sharpening surface
- Non-slip bottom
- Economical price
- Not as durable as others
- Can easily get dirty
You do not have to throw your knives whenever the blades get dull! A more practical solution is to invest in the best sharpening stones. While you have to use them manually, they will be effective in making sure that the blades of your knives will not suffer from dullness. They can be beneficial in more ways than one, such as when it comes to versatility and safety.
From the five products discussed above, if there is one that I can personally recommend, it would be Mighty Dreams Premium Knife Sharpening Stone. While it is quite expensive, the cost can be justified with its premium quality and functionality.