Best Sushi Making Kit: Turn Yourself into an Instant Chef
When it comes to Japanese food, while there are many that are well-loved, one of the most popular is sushi. Fortunately, you can make it even at the comfort of your own kitchen. It might initially seem like an intimidating task, but if you have the right tools and a recipe to guide you, things will appear to be a lot easier than what you have thought.
If you are thinking of buying the best sushi making kit, take time to read the rest of this guide first. We will point out some of the most important factors you need to consider and five of the products that we believe can provide excellent value for your money.
Types of Sushi Maker
As you begin searching for the best pick within the product category, you need to know first that generally, sushi makers can be categorized into two:
- Traditional Sushi Maker: A conventional option is one that comes with a mat, which you have to manually roll. The mat is usually made from bamboo or flexible plastic. It is also known to be the more economical option between the two.
- Non-Traditional Sushi Maker: These are more modern alternatives. One type is a sushi making kit that is made from a cylindrical plastic. You need to feed the tube with rice and all other ingredients. Push the plunger and soon, your rice rolls are done. All that you have to do is to cut it on sizes that are desired.
Tips in Making Sushi
It is never enough that you have the best sushi making kit. It is just one element of the equation. To make the best sushi, below are some of the most important things that you have to keep in mind:
- Use only sushi-grade fish if you will eat it raw. There are some types of fish that are prone to parasites that can cause serious health problems.
- Keep your hand moist as you roll and touch the rice. If not, rice will end up sticking to your finger and it will make it more difficult for you to work. Have a bowl of water nearby to maintain moisture in your hand.
- Nori or edible seaweed is one of the key ingredients in sushi. Use it as soon as possible. Prolonged exposure to air will make it absorb moisture and will make it non-sticky.
- The taste of sushi will also highly-depend on the sauce. While soy sauce is the most popular, do not be afraid to experiment with other options, such as sesame oil or teriyaki sauce.
- Make sure that the knife is sharp when it is time to cut the roll. A clean cut will make the sushi look better. See to it as well that the knife is clean and has no lingering odor.
- Presentation can make a lot of difference. Once it is time to serve the sushi, take time to think about plating to make it more presentable.
The short video below will provide you with more insights on how to make the perfect sushi:
Care and Maintenance
To retain the best condition and optimal functionality of your sushi making kit, the following are some of the most important things to do:
- Pay attention to proper storage. Keep it in a place where there is no direct heat. See to it as well that cockroaches and insects will not get in contact with the kit.
- Clean after every use. The longer dirt stays on the surface, the more difficult it will be to remove.
- For a sushi mat, one of the easiest ways to clean it is to use a mixture of vinegar and hot water. It will kill the germs that could grow on the mat.
- If you will opt for a bamboo sushi mat, make sure to use a plastic liner, which will lessen the likelihood that rice will stick on the surface. This will make clean-up a breeze.
Choosing a Sushi Making Kit
To come up with the right choice, here are some of the things that should be taken into account:
- Reviews: If you need help in differentiating the options and narrowing down the possibilities, you have to consult with what other people have to say. Their real-life experiences will be a good way to weigh the pros and cons for each product.
- Ease of Use: The whole point of using a sushi making kit is to make sure that preparing it will be effortless. With this, choose one that is user-friendly. For beginners, a roller tray is better than a traditional mat since it is less time-consuming and will not require too much effort.
- Material: Bamboo is cheap, but the problem is that rice can easily stick, and hence, cleaning it will be harder. If you are using one that is made from plastic, on the other hand, make sure that it has food-grade materials so that it will be non-sticky.
- Ease of Cleaning: Choose a material that will be a snap to clean and maintain. This will also be essential in prolonging the functional life of the product.
- Versatility: When talking about versatility, we are actually referring to the ability to make different shapes. This will be a lot more fun as you can experiment with various shapes.
- Accessories: Some sushi making kits will include only the rolling mat. The better ones, on the other hand, will be inclusive of other accessories, such as a sharp knife for making clean cuts.
- Cost: There are several factors that will have an impact on the price of the sushi making kit, such as the reputation of the manufacturer and the accessories that are included. At the end of the day, spend more if this means that the product will have better quality.
- Warranty: Under the warranty coverage, if the sushi making kit becomes defective, the manufacturer can have it replaced or repaired. However, you have to make sure that the defect does not result from your negligence.
Reviews of the Best Sushi Making Kit
If price is your most important consideration, this is one option that should definitely be included in your list of alternatives. Budget-conscious buyers will love the fact that it is an economical product, yet it has an abundance of features that are common in the more expensive alternatives.
In terms of its overall construction, this can also prove to be an impressive product. It is made from plastic, but not the ones that are flimsy. It is durable and lightweight, which makes it perfect for those who make sushi on the go.
Another great thing about its construction is that it is made with the use of food-grade material. Hence, there is no need for you to worry about toxicity.
It is also user-friendly. Even for novices in the art of sushi-making, there is no need to exert considerable effort on its use. It is even made better by the fact that it is also dishwasher-safe, which means that its maintenance will be a snap.
- Comes with an affordable price
- Durable construction
- Does not come with protective packaging
- Plunger can experience problems
The inexpensive price is just one of the many things that we loved about this product. Despite this, it already comes with almost everything that you need to get started. There are two sushi rolling mats that are included, as well as rice spreader and rice paddle.
It is also commendable because of the choice of material. It is made from 100% natural and organic bamboo. You can be sure that there are no toxic or any chemicals that can poison your food. Nonetheless, since mold can be a problem, emphasis should be given on its proper care and maintenance.
Since it is made from bamboo, some people may be worried that there are splinters that could get mixed with the sushi. The good thing is that it has gone through stringent testing and you can be assured that there are no splinters.
- Affordable price
- Solid construction
- Has everything you will need
- Can easily get sticky
- Can be prone to growth of mold
How easy is it to use this sushi making kit? Well, the mere fact that it can be used even by a seven-year old must already provide you with an idea that it is indeed going to be a user-friendly option. With the help of this product, sushi-making will be quick and almost effortless on your end.
One of the best reasons to choose this product is the fact that it is inclusive of almost everything that will be essential in making sushi. It has a rolling mat, clamp, cutting guide, rice paddle, end cap, and plastic stand. All that you need is to prepare the ingredients and you are soon ready to start making delicious sushi.
The entire kit is also dishwasher-safe. With the latter, it will be easy to keep it clean and to prolong its functional life.
Lastly, you might also love this product because of its high-quality construction. It is made from lightweight plastic that is sure to last long.
- Easy to use, even for children
- Complete control on size of rolls
- Has a nonstick mat
- A bit expensive
- Can be quite impractical
This sushi making kit comes in a bazooka style. To use, all that you have to do is to fill the bazooka with the ingredients, seal, and squeeze the finished product from one of the openings. The problem, however, is that the plunger can require quite an effort.
All the parts in the sushi-making kit are made using food-grade plastic. It is non-toxic. The material is also lightweight and easy to clean, providing you with the assurance that it will never be a breeding ground for germs.
Lastly, if you want to have peace of mind with the purchase you are about to make, it is also good to know that the manufacturer is offering a satisfaction guarantee. This means that if in any way you are unhappy with the product that you have received, you can have it returned and the manufacturer will provide you with a refund.
- Affordable price
- Durable construction
- Comes with bamboo chopsticks
- Instructions are not in English
- A bit difficult to roll
If you want a product that will provide the best bang for your buck, this can be a great pick. It has tons of accessories that are included, all of which are reflective of superior construction. Aside from the rice molder, it also comes with a paddle, cutter, and training frame. A special knife is also included in the package.
Versatility is another reason why this is a well-loved option within the product category. There are five molds that are included – triangle, heart, classic round, large square, and small square. This will allow you to make sushi in different fun shapes.
- Comes with a lot of accessories
- Effortless to clean
- Durable construction
- Does not come with instructions
- May be difficult to roll
To make sushi at home, you do not need to be an expert chef. All that you need is to invest in the best sushi making kit and you will be able to prepare a delicious feast in no time. Nonetheless, take note that not all products are equal. You need to be responsible enough to narrow down the possibilities and make the right choice.
If you will ask for my personal favorite, I would say that it is Camp Chef Sushezi Roller Kit. The latter comes with lightweight plastic construction, which is also food-grade. It is also an affordable option and perfect for novices.