How To Get Rid of Burnt Popcorn Smell from your Microwave
Popcorn is one of the well-loved snacks in any home. They are easy to prepare, making it the go-to munchies for people who do not have the luxury of time and who have lack of patience to prepare. You can just put it inside the microwave and wait until the kernels start popping. However, regardless of how careful you are, you may end up burning them. With such, in the rest of this post, we will provide you with insights on how to get rid of burnt popcorn smell. It is easier than you think! In most instances, you do not even have to spend to enjoy an effective solution. Many of them are available in the kitchen, such as coffee.
Here’s How To Get Rid of Burnt Popcorn Smell
Thinking of how to do it? Here are some simple solutions that you can try! With just a few minutes and minimal effort to spare, you can easily get rid of the foul odor from burnt popcorn.
- Vinegar: If there is one item in the kitchen that can do wonders for a variety of purposes, it would be vinegar. It does not only add flavor to food, but it can also be an all-around cleaning solution for your house, including your microwave. In a bowl, combine one tablespoon of vinegar and half cup of plain water. Have it placed inside the microwave and turn it on for about five minutes. After this, do not open the door. Leave it closed for another 15 minutes. The steam will be released and will absorb the smell of burnt popcorn. Once the waiting time has lapsed, open the door and wipe the microwave. Make sure to wipe it properly as vinegar can have a pungent smell that could linger and can easily transfer to whatever is heated inside the microwave.
- Baking Soda: Looking for a simpler solution on how to get rid of burnt popcorn smell in your microwave? Baking soda will do the trick! All that you need to do is open a box of any baking soda, put it inside the microwave, and leave it there overnight. This will be highly-effective in neutralizing odor. You can also combine the power of vinegar and baking soda. Have a sponge soaked in vinegar and sprinkle baking soda on the top. Use this to wipe the interior of the microwave. Like what has been recommended above, make sure to finish by wiping the microwave with a dry and clean cloth so that the smell of vinegar will not be left lingering.
- Citrus: The tangy and fresh smell of citrus is another easy solution for getting rid of the smell of burnt popcorn. Peel lemon and have it sliced into half. In a bowl, put two cups of water and combine it with the citrus peels. Have it placed inside the microwave and turn it on. Make sure to be attentive. See to it that water will not overflow and that the peels will not end up being burnt. You can also leave the bowl inside for a day, which will most probably make it more effective.
- Vanilla: The scent of vanilla can be overpowering, which makes it effective in overshadowing burnt popcorn. All that you have to do is to place about four tablespoons of your favorite vanilla extract in a bowl. Have it microwaved for at least five minutes. Once done, just leave it inside for about half a day and wipe the microwave after.
- Berries: Do you love the fruity smell of berries? You will love it even more after knowing how it can be effectively used for eliminating the odor caused by burnt popcorn. In a bowl, place mixed berries and have it microwaved for a minute or two. However, you need to make sure that there is a cling wrap on the top of the bowl. Otherwise, you will end up burning the berries and this can just make the problem worse rather than having it resolved. Heat can cause the berries to be melted, which will give you a hard time cleaning the microwave. Take note as well that it will not be used for absorption of odor, but rather, it will dominate the smell of burnt popcorn.
- Coffee: This is another simple but effective solution in getting rid of burn popcorn smell inside your microwave. If you love making coffee at home, do not just dispose the grinds. Place them in a large bowl and put it inside the microwave. Leave it for the whole day. If you want the process to be quicker, you can also mix coffee with water and have it microwaved for at least three minutes. If your coffee is stronger, it will do a better job. Now, when you open the microwave, you can no longer smell popcorn, but the aroma of your favorite caffeine fix.