A Quick and Easy Guide on How to Make Waffle Fries
Are you interested to know how to make waffle fries? Read the rest of this guide and I will let you know how you can do this at the comfort of your own home. I will make it as easy to understand as possible, so there is no excuse for you to not give it a shot!
There is no golden rule when it comes to making waffle fries. Instructions can vary depending on which recipe you are following. Individual preferences, such as the specific flavor of the fries, will also have an impact on how you should do it. It can sound intimidating at first, but once you are aware of the step-by-step instructions, you will regret not having done it before!
Forget about the traditional fries! Their match-stick shape looks boring! It is now time to step up the game and make your favorite potato snack with crisscross shape. Keep on reading and learn from what I will be sharing below. It will not take long before you realize that it is actually easier than what you might have initially thought.
Your Own Version of Chick-Fil-A’s Waffle Fries
When you speak of waffle fries, the first thing that you will most probably think of is the one that you can order from Chick-fil-A, which undeniably goes well when paired with almost anything. This ubiquitous side order is a yummy treat for the appetite. It will be cheaper if you make one on your own.
Here’s what you will need to follow the steps that will be mentioned below:
- Idaho potatoes
- Peanut oil
- Paper towels
Once you have gathered the materials that are needed, here are the instructions:
- Start by washing your potatoes. This is important not only to prevent contamination, but to also make sure that you will have a good-tasting waffle fries. There is no need to have your potatoes peeled.
- Now, it is time to cut your potatoes to achieve the shape that is desired. To do this, set the blade of you mandolin so that it can cut at a thickness of ¼ or ½ inch. Choose whatever is preferred. A thinner cut is recommended if you want it to be crispier without spending a lot of time frying.
- To have a cross-cut, make sure that you rotate the potato to at least 90 degrees every time it passes through the blade.
- Not that you have your waffle-cut potatoes, set it aside in a container that is filled with water. If it is not soaked in water, it will end up being oxidized. With oxidation, it will quickly turn to black or brown.
- Heat your peanut oil while making sure that the flame is set to low. Ideally, it should be at least 320 degrees Fahrenheit. Before throwing your potatoes in oil, make sure that it is properly dried. If not, you will end up with crackling and splattering oil, which can hurt your face.
- It is also important to make sure that the potatoes are not overcrowded. If you put a lot in one batch, the result is that they will be cooked unevenly, which is one thing that you would not want. Some parts will be overcooked, while others will be undercooked.
- Wait for at least four to five minutes. After this, take out the potatoes from the pot and drain it. See to it that no excess oil will remain. Place it on the top of paper towels. The latter will help to effectively dry out oil.
- Once it is already drained of oil, you need to fry it again. This time, the temperature should be higher, at least 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Wait for at least two minutes or until you see that the potatoes turn to golden brown.
- Remove and drain it again in paper towel.
- Allow it to cool down for some time and sprinkle salt on the top. Sprinkle only a little amount so that it won’t end up being too salty.
- Enjoy your waffle fries. It is best paired with ketchup or any other sauce that suits your palate.
How To Make Waffle Fries in the Oven
While frying is the traditional method of preparing waffle fries, there are some people who do not like it for one reason – it uses a lot of oil. This can be a significant health concern for some. With this, one excellent alternative is to bake it in the oven. To do this, here’s what you will need:
- Baking pan
- Nonstick aluminum foil
- Ridge blade
Here’s how you can do it:
- Start by preheating your oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit, which is roughly equivalent to 230 degrees Celsius.
- While waiting for the oven to heat, prepare your potatoes. Cover you baking pan with an aluminum foil. Make sure that the latter is nonstick so that it will be easier to remove the potato later.
- Rinse the potatoes in running water. You can also use a brush to take of any dirt on the surface.
- Now that your potatoes are ready, you can start cutting it using a ridged blade. If you have a mandolin, you can also use it. Just follow the instructions I have mentioned above.
- When using a ridged blade, make sure to rotate the potato in circular motion as you cut to achieve the desired shape.
- Place it in a pan. Put the pan in the oven. The duration of baking will depend on a variety of factors, such as how thick is the potato. Ideally, it should be baked for 20 to 30 minutes or until you notice the color change to golden brown.
- When done, sprinkle salt and it is now ready for you to enjoy!
Use a Waffle Iron
If you have a waffle iron at home, consider yourself lucky! You can also use it to prepare your waffle fries, but the method will be generally different from the two ways earlier mentioned. These are what you will need:
- Waffle iron
- Nonstick coating spray
- Shredder or grater
- Microwave-safe container
Here are the simple steps to make your waffle fries:
- Like in the case of using an oven, preheat the waffle iron. The duration will depend on the specific model that you are using. Refer to the instructions from the manufacturer to be sure. Do not also forget to spray a nonstick coating so that the potatoes will not stick on the surface.
- Take off the skin of the potato and have it rinsed. You may also want to keep the skin on. In this case, make sure to thoroughly clean it first.
- Shred your potatoes. Once you have already shredded your potato, it should not be washed. Too much washing will eliminate the natural starch. You need the latter to make sure that they will bind.
- Melt about one to two tablespoons of butter in a microwave-safe container.
- Once it has melted, mix it with potato. Add pepper and salt for flavor. Mix it evenly, making sure that the ingredients will bind with each other.
- Using a spoon, spread the mixture in the waffle iron. The size will depend on how big or small you want each waffle fry to be.
- Make sure that there are spaces in between each piece.
- Close the waffle iron and cook it until it turns golden brown
- Serve and enjoy while it is hot!
Aside from making sure that you religiously follow the steps in making waffle fries, it will also help to keep the following things in mind:
- One of the most important things that you should do is to choose the right type of oil. In this case, peanut oil is preferred because of its high smoke point. Do not use olive oil.
- Deep frying is the key to make sure that you will end up with crispy fries. With this, it should be cooked in a deep pot.
- Before sprinkling salt on the top, make sure that it is already dry and there should be no excess oil. Paper towels will always come handy.
- Use only clean and properly-rinsed potatoes.
- Allow the fries to cool down for a few minutes to make it crispy before it is eaten.
Now that you have reached the end of this post, I hope that you already know how to make waffle fries. It is not that difficult, right? The ingredients are basic and the steps are easy to follow. You do not need to have any extensive experience in the kitchen. It will be a breeze for you to prepare delicious waffle fries like what you can enjoy from Chick-fil-A.
Did you enjoy reading this post? Have you tried making your own version of waffle fries? Do not hesitate to leave a comment below and let us know.