A fresh, home-made apple juice is not only thirst-quenching and refreshing, but also offers incredible health benefits. Indeed, it is true that an apple a day keeps the doctor away. This fruit can do wonders to the human body, especially if you make sure that you are using the right apples.
If you have no idea on what to choose for the best apples for juicing, read this post and we will help you find out. We will briefly tackle three of the best options that are available, as well as the reasons why they are amongst the best that you will ever find.
Benefits of Apple for Juicing
There is a reason why apples are popular ingredients for juicing – they are excellent for your health. To be specific, below are some of the benefits of eating apples and using them for juicing:
- Good for Weight Loss: One of the main reasons why many people try juicing is to lose weight. In this case, apples will be great because they have high water and fiber. They will be a filling treat without too much calories.
- Improves Heart Health: Eating apples have also been linked to having lower risk of cardiovascular diseases. This is possibly because of the presence of epicatechin, a polyphenol that is instrumental in improving blood pressure.
- Improves Endurance: Before you exercise, drinking apple juice or eating whole apple will be a good way to be fueled for what lies ahead. It contains quercetin, an antioxidant that increases the amount of oxygen in the lungs to provide you with more endurance.
- Prevention of Cancer: There have also been several studies in the past that proved how apples can lower the likelihood of having cancer. This can be linked to the high content of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Improves Bone Health: If you want to have stronger bones, an apple is one fruit that should be part of your daily diet. It can help to preserve bone mass, which is especially important for people who are aging.
- Controls Blood Pressure: If you are suffering from hypertension, you have another good reason to drink apple juice. Apples have high level of potassium, which is important in regulating blood pressure.
Varieties of Apple for Juicing
If you are looking for the best apples for juicing, it is important to be careful in choosing the right variety. In this case, the following are the options that you might want to consider:
- Granny Smith: Compared to most of the varieties of apple, it contains a higher level of potassium and antioxidants, making it a good choice for a healthy juice. The flesh comes with a distinct green color, which is why you can expect the juice to be the same.
- Pink Lady: While most of the apples will yield a sweet juice, if you want a more unique flavor, this is what you should choose. The juice will have a tart taste.
- Gala: All the way from New Zealand, it is juicy and sweet, making it one of the most popular apple varieties.
- Fuji: Developed in Japan and named after the iconic Mount Fuji, it has a naturally sweet flavor and a firm flesh.
Tips in Juicing Apples
You might think that having the right apple is enough to make a great juice. The truth is it is only one part of the equation. For the best juice, you need to follow the tips that we will mention below:
- Use only organic apples. This will have a huge impact on the taste of the juice that you will make. You will end up with a clean-tasting juice. Some that are sprayed with pesticides will surely result to bitter juice.
- There is no need to take out the skin of apples. Just make sure to wash the fruit so that it will be clean. Also, see to it that they are organic. The skin is filled with nutrients and flavor, apart from the fact that it will add a unique texture to your drink.
- Drink your apple juice early in the morning. It is filled with complex carbohydrates that will provide you with the energy that you need in the morning. If you will drink juice late, opt for those that are not as sweet.
- Do not add artificial sugar in your juice. Apples are already naturally sweet, so the flavor should not be too much of an issue. If you still want it to be sweeter, it will be best to use honey instead.
The short video below will show you more on how to make an apple juice:
How to Tell if Apples are Fresh
When juicing apples, the first thing that you have to do is to have a visual inspection of the fruit to ensure its freshness. Here are some of the things that you have to keep in mind:
- Look for possible signs of dehydration. A fresh apple will have a supple feel, but not too soft. In the same way, if it is as hard as a rock, this could be a sign that it is too old and no longer good for juicing.
- After pressing the apple, turn it around and look for possible signs of damage, especially of pest infestation. If there are molds, holes, specks, and other visible damages, the apple might no longer be in good condition.
- Smell the apples. If it is fresh, the aroma should be pleasant. Some apples will be more fragrant than other varieties. Others may not even have a recognizable smell. However, if the smell is off, throw it away.
- Examine the color of the fruit as well. The color will depend on the variety that you will choose. If the color is half green and half red, this is a sign that it has been picked while it is not yet fully ripe. A fuller color would mean that the fruit is more flavorful.
Reviews of the Best Apples for Juicing
In this section, we will list down three of the apples that are worth choosing for a healthy and delicious juice. We’ll give you some of the reasons why they stand out above all others.
Quality – this is perhaps the best thing about these apples. They are homegrown in an orchard in Lancaster County. They are also freshly-picked, providing you with the assurance of your highest level of satisfaction.
One thing that you will love about these apples is how they are properly packed, making sure that they will remain in their tip-top condition while in transit. They are packed individually and there is a foam in every apple to avoid it from being soft.
This is a pink lady apple variety. With this, you can expect the flavor to be sweet tart. The outside will be crisp. It has a pink skin, which will be indicative of freshness. There is white flesh, which is excellent to be eaten on its own or for juicing.
Lastly, it is also a good thing that the manufacturer is offering expedited shipping for three days. With priority mail, it won’t take long before you receive the apples, making sure that they will not rot while in transit.
- Comes in gift packages
- Premium quality
- Minimal reviews
Among others, the sweetness of these apples is one of the best reasons to choose it above all others. It is as sweet as honey, making it a good choice for flavorful juice. Because of its robust flavor, you won’t feel the need to add sugar or any other artificial sweetener.
Since these apples are packaged in a gift box, it has beautiful presentation and each apple comes with an individual protection from external damages during shipping. This should provide you with peace of mind when it comes to their freshness.
When juicing, you do not need to take out the skin of the apple. It is crisp, which also makes it good to be eaten on its own. It can add a unique texture to your juice, depending on the consistency.
- Good packaging
- Sweet flavor
- High juice yield
- Minimal user reviews
The Fruit Company Pink Lady Apples
Thinking of the perfect gift for someone who loves juicing? There is no need to look far. These apples are the best! They have a beautiful packaging, which will make it presentable to the recipient. To add, the packaging also makes sure that each apple is individually protected so that they will not be damaged while in transit.
Pink lady apple is a breed of Lady Williams and Golden Delicious. It has white flesh while the skin is hot pink, which is going to produce a juice with subtle but beautiful color.
Lastly, to provide you with peace of mind, the manufacturer is offering a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are unhappy in any way with the product, let the manufacturer know and they will do what it takes to make you satisfied.
- Stellar packaging
- Fresh from the orchard
- Expensive price
I believe that Kauffman’s Fresh Pink Lady Apples stands out from the three products that we have compared in this post. From the color of its skin and its flesh to its flavor, this will surely be a good pick. It is one of those apples that will make a flavorful juice.