Best Cheese Grater: Know How to Choose and What to Buy
There are many tools that are essential to have in the kitchen, but one that is often overlooked is a cheese grater. Since its introduction, it has evolved in terms of design and function. Nowadays, it is a multifunctional item as it can be used beyond grating cheese, making it a must-have for those who spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
If you are thinking of buying the best cheese grater but unsure of which one will make a good choice, this is a guide that you should read. We will have a quick look at some of the most important considerations and five of the best products that are currently available in the market.
Types of Cheese Grater
The first thing that you have to decide upon is the type of the cheese grater that you will need. In this case, the following are the options that you will have:
- Box Grater
- Micro-plane Grater
- Rotary Cheese Grater
- Handheld Grater
This is a grater that works perfectly for soft cheese and hard food. It comes with four sides. There are also four grating plates, which will allow you to grate with different levels of coarseness.
Also known as zester, it comes with small holes. It has a slick stick-like design, which also makes it space-efficient. It results to super-fine texture of the cheese because of its small holes.
This is another option that will be great for grating hard cheese. It comes with a hopper to contain the cheese, a drum, and a handle that you have to turn for grating cheese.
This is the simplest from the types of cheese graters. It has a handle and a shredding plate. It will allow you to shred cheese directly into the plate. With its flat design, it is also a good thing that it requires minimal storage space.
Essential Factor to Consider when Buying
As you try to evaluate the options for the best cheese grate, the following are some of the most important things that should be given emphasis:
- Material: On the top of the list of considerations will be the material that is used in the grater, which will be indicative of its durability and functionality. Stainless steel is a top choice because of its ability to withstand the test of time.
- Handle: Another thing that you need to do is to choose a cheese grater that fits perfectly in your hand. The handle should have an ergonomic design and should be large enough so that you can hold it in a manner that you will be more comfortable.
- Blades: You also have to think about the quality of the blade. They should stay sharp for an extended period. Also, it will be good if they can be interchanged, which will allow you to enjoy versatility.
- Ease of Cleaning: It is inevitable that the cheese grater will wear down after a long time of use. With this, it is best to choose a product that will be easy for you to clean and maintain. It will be good if it is dishwasher-safe. Later in this guide, we will also tackle some of the things you need to do to maintain the grater in its peak condition.
- Stability: This is especially true in the case of box-type cheese grater. It is important that the base is stable so that it won’t slip and you will not be able to accidentally cut your finger, regardless of how strong is the pressure that you exert when grating.
- Size: As much as possible, choose a cheese grater that comes with a minimal size, which means that it will be space-efficient. However, this might also mean that you will be able to grate only a small amount of cheese within a short span of time.
- Versatility: Yes, it is a cheese grater, but this does not mean that it is only to be used exclusively for cheese. Choose a product that is multipurpose. There are some that you can use even for fruits, vegetables, and chocolates. Others also function as a zester. Also, see to it that it can grate both hard and soft cheeses.
- Safety: As you decide on which one makes the best choice, think about the safety features that they have. A grating guard or rubber stopper will be a good feature. Also, see to it that it comes with a non-slip base to minimize the possibility of suffering from an injury.
- Warranty: This is one thing that will eliminate the doubts that you might have about a specific product. The best option is a product that comes with a lifetime warranty, which will provide a guarantee of your satisfaction.
How to Clean and Maintain your Cheese Grater
Through the years, it is inevitable that the cheese grater will show signs of wear and tear. With this, the following are some of the most important things that you should do:
- Clean the cheese grater right after every use. This is especially true if you have just grated soft cheese. When the cheese has already dried and hardened, it will be more difficult to take it out of the holes of the grater.
- When it comes to cleaning small holes, using a sponge will not be enough. With this, it will be better to use toothbrush. A nylon brush will also do the trick. Clean every hole to be sure that no cheese will remain.
- To make cleanup a lot easier, it will be good to freeze the cheese before grating. Also, it will help to brush the grater with salad oil or butter, which will prevent the presence of sticky residues on the surface.
- Once you are done following the standard procedure for cleaning the grater, it will also be a good idea to grate apple or potato. This will be helpful in making sure that no cheese particles will remain on the small holes.
Below is a short video that shows the simplest way to clean a standard cheese grater:
Top Picks for the Best Cheese Grater
In this section, we will look at some of the brands and models that you might want to consider. To make it easier to decide, we will also tackle some of their notable features, as well as a few of their pros and cons.
Among others, one of the best things about this cheese grater is the fact that it is versatile. This means that you can use it in more ways than one, making it an excellent addition for any kitchen. The shred thickness can be customized. It is hexagon-shaped, and on each side, you can shred differently.
Cleaning and maintenance of this cheese grater will be almost effortless on your end. It is dishwasher-safe. Plus, even if you have to hand-wash it manually, doing so will not require too much of an effort on your end.
It is made from high-quality stainless steel. This means that it will demonstrate exceptional quality even through the years, especially with regular cleaning and maintenance. It also has a top handle with rubber, which makes it comfortable to hold the shredder. Nonetheless, there are some complaints with regards to how the handle seems to be a bit flimsy.
- Space-efficient design
- Easy to clean
- Heavy-duty construction
- Can easily become dull
- Handle can be flimsy
The stainless steel blade of this cheese grater is one of its best features. It is made from a material that won’t rust overtime and that is known for its exceptional strength. Even through the years, you can expect the best from this product. Plus, they are ultra-sharp, which will allow you to grate in a manner that is almost effortless.
You will also love this product because of its versatility. It comes with four sides. In each side, you can grate with different levels of coarseness. Aside from cheese, you can also use it for vegetables, among others.
We also loved how it comes with a rubber bottom. The latter makes sure that it will remain stable on different surfaces. Also, this prevents the cheese from getting out of the bottom of the grater, and hence, minimizing mess.
If you want to have peace of mind, one thing that can convince you to choose this above others is the fact that it comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer, which will guarantee your satisfaction.
- You can shred on four sides
- Stable base
- High-quality construction
- Can be easily scratched
- A bit tricky to clean
One of the best things about this product is that it is NSF Restaurant-certified. The latter means that it has undergone stringent quality control, providing you with the guarantee that it will not only meet, but even exceed your expectations.
Another thing that you might like about this product is the fact that the handle can be positioned on both sides, depending if you are left or right-handed. Also, it can be detached, as well as the other parts. This makes cleaning a snap while also making the design space-efficient.
There is a fine drum that allows it to work not only for hard cheeses, but also for chocolates and nuts, among others. Plus, if you want the grate to be coarser, all that you need to do is to apply more pressure and there is no need to change the blade.
Still have hesitations about purchasing this product? One thing that can possibly eliminate your doubt is the fact that the manufacturer is offering five years of warranty. This should be more than enough to provide you with peace of mind.
- Comfortable to use
- Durable construction
- Not for soft cheeses
- Can have lots of leftover cheese
The mere fact that it is made by a trusted brand can already make you confident about the quality of the product. More than being made by a reputable company, it is also a good thing that it comes with an affordable price, making it easy on the pocket.
It is also a good thing that it comes with a soft-grip handle. The latter makes it easy and comfortable to hold the grater. It is large enough to accommodate even a bigger hand. Since you will be comfortable holding the grater, you will also have better control of it.
Another thing that you might like about this cheese grater is that it comes with four sides, which will allow it to offer versatility. This will allow you to choose how coarse or how fine is the cheese when it is grated.
- Affordable price
- Comfortable handle
- Made by a trusted brand
- Not stable
- Not sharp enough
Simplicity and affordability – these are two of the things that might make you love this cheese grater. This is the perfect option for budget-conscious buyers. Despite being an affordable option, you can be confident that it will deliver superior functionality.
The nonslip grip is also a plus. This makes it easy and comfortable to hold the grater, even for an extended period.
It is also a good thing that it comes with a space-efficient design. One of the reasons for the latter is that it comes with only two sides, unlike in the case of boxed graters that appear to be too bulky.
- Sharp blade
- Ergonomic handle
- Affordable price
- Can grate only on two sides
- May be unstable
Indeed, your search for the best cheese grater will not be an easy task. With too many options that are available, you might end up being overwhelmed. Nonetheless, this should not give you a reason to choose just any product. At all times, be responsible enough to evaluate the possibilities and decide beyond price.
From the five products that have been mentioned above, if there is one that I can personally recommend, it would be Spring Chef Box Grater. The latter comes with four sides, which will allow you to grate with different coarseness. Plus, it comes with a lifetime warranty, which should be enough for you to have peace of mind.