A lot of you might be intimated over the thought of making cookies, believing that it is an exhausting task. Yes, it can be tiring and frustrating, but this is only the case if you do not have the right tools. With this, among others, one that you need to have is the best cookie press.
With too many options for a cookie press, which one should you purchase? A lot of you may end up with confusion, but this should not be an excuse to make a decision without thinking carefully. With this, the rest of this guide will provide you with some practical insights, as well as a quick look at five of the products that can provide excellent value for money.
Types of Cookie Press
The first thing that you must do is to decide on which type of cookie press will work best for your needs and preferences. In this case, you have to choose from these two:
- Manual Cookie Press: This is the more common type of cookie press. It can be equipped with a handle or a plunger. They are simple to operate and they are also more affordable. They are cordless, which means that it will be easier to stay organized.
- Electric Cookie Press: While they are more expensive, they require less effort on the part of the user because there is no need for manual pressing. It can be a good choice for kids. There are some that are corded, while there are also newer options that are battery-powered.
Essential Factors to Consider
As you try to narrow down the possibilities, the following are some of the most important factors you should consider:
- Discs: Most have stainless steel discs, which are known for being hard to match when it comes to strength. Having more discs is a good thing since this means that you can make cookies with different designs or patterns.
- Ease of Use: It is important for the cookie press to have an ergonomic design. This means that the handle must be designed in such a way that you can grip it easily. It must not contribute to fatigue, even if you will use it for an extended period.
- Barrel: The design of the barrel is also an important consideration. It will be good if it is transparent, which means that it will be easy for you to know if there is already a need for refilling. Also, make sure that it has enough capacity based on how many cookies you intend to make.
- Ease of Cleaning: It will be good if the cookie press is dishwasher-safe. This will make it effortless for you to clean the product and to keep it in its peak condition, even after many years of use.
- Material: Some of the most popular materials that are used for a cookie press include stainless steel, plastic, and aluminum. Make sure that it is long-lasting. It should also be lightweight so that using that cookie press will not lead to discomfort.
- Warranty: If you want to have peace of mind, make sure that the manufacturer is offering an extensive warranty coverage. Within the warranty period, you can return the product to the manufacturer if it experiences defects. In turn, they will repair it for free or even issue a replacement or refund, depending on the terms and conditions.
- Recipes: Especially if you are a beginner, you will benefit from a product that comes with a recipe book. This will make it easy for you to experiment with various recipes as you will have detailed instructions on how to proceed.
Tips in Using Cookie Press
To be sure of achieving the perfect outcomes all the times, here are some of the best tips to keep in mind:
- Mind the consistency of the dough. This is especially true if you are using a manual cookie press. If it is too hard, the press won’t work. Yet, there is even a possibility that it will break since it has to exert more effort than what is necessary.
- You also have to be mindful of the ingredients that you have to use. Big chunks and anything that is hard won’t work. With this, stay away from raisins and nuts, among others. Look for recipes that were written specifically for a cookie press.
- It is also important to make sure that there is no air in the press. When it is filled with dough, press with sufficient pressure. If there is air, this will affect the shape of the cookie that comes out of the barrel.
- See to it as well that the baking pan or sheet is ungreased. Parchment paper is also not recommended. It is best to just leave the sheet bare. This will make it easier for the cookie to adhere on the surface.
- Patience is a virtue, even when making cookies. This is especially true for first-timers. You may not immediately get the hang of it. However, it is important to not be frustrated. Do not easily give up. With repeated uses, it will not take long before you can master the fundamentals.
Still clueless about how to make the perfect cookie using your cookie press? Below is a short video with a visual guide on how to do it right:
Top Picks for the Best Cookie Press
In this section, we will have a glimpse at five brands and models that you might want to consider. To help you evaluate each product, we will identify some of their notable features, as well as a few of their pros and cons.
The simplicity of this product is one thing that gives it an edge above all others. Using this cookie press will be effortless on your end, even if you are a beginner. It is also a good thing that it comes with a comfortable design. This means that handling the product will require minimal effort on your end.
It is also a great thing that it comes with a clear cylinder, which means that you can easily see what it inside. This makes it a snap to monitor the content or the remaining cookie dough, making it easy to determine when there is a need to refill.
You will also love how it comes with 12 discs, which are available in a variety of designs. You can experiment with different shapes, depending on what you want for the output. The material used is also excellent as it can demonstrate durability.
Lastly, it is also a good thing that there is a non-slip base. This means that it will be stable, regardless of the pressure that you exert.
- Sold at an affordable price
- Has 12 cookie discs
- User-friendly design
- Not dishwasher-safe
- Plastic construction
One thing that you can enjoy with this cookie press is its versatility, basically because there are 16 shapes that are included. There are also 4 mini-cookie designs, providing you with more options. Even kids will enjoy cookie making and will look forward to such an activity.
Design-wise, it is a good thing that the cookie press comes with a non-slip bottom. This is excellent for your convenience and to prevent the base from slipping. Even if you exert pressure, there is no need to worry that it will slide from the surface.
Ease of use is one more thing that you will find to be impressive in this product. Filling the barrel will be almost effortless on your end. The design of the handle is also great, making it comfortable to operate, unlike others that can easily lead to fatigue.
Even if it is your first time to make cookies, there is no need to worry. It comes with a recipe book, which is inclusive of detailed instructions on how to make the perfect cookie like a seasoned baker.
- Ergonomic handle design
- Clear barrel
- Comes with recipes
- Not as durable
- Not dishwasher-safe
Among others, one that is worth noting about this product is how it is made from pure aluminum. This is not only excellent in terms of aesthetics, but it is also lightweight. Best of all, you can expect that it will withstand the test of time. It is not easily prone to wear and tear.
There are 20 die plates that are included in this set. This means that you will have lots of choices in terms of patterns. You can also make cookies in two sizes. With all of these, you can do more with a single product, which is one of the reasons why it provides the best value for the money.
Clueless about how to make the perfect Italian cookies? Do not worry! The manufacturer provides detailed instructions on how to use the cookie press, as well as some recipes that you can try at the comfort of your own home.
When it comes to cleaning, however, keep in mind that it is meant only to be hand-washed. There is no need to worry as such will not be too much of a work for you.
- Comes with 20 steel discs
- Easy to clean
- Can make small or large cookies
- Barrel is a bit small
- Can be prone to slipping
With this cookie press kit, you can use your creativity and experiment with different recipes. There are 20 discs that are included. Whether you are preparing cookies for your family or as a gift for friends, you will have an extensive selection of designs.
Another thing worth noting about this product is the fact that it is made from high-grade aluminum. This is an excellent material in terms of strength, providing you with the guarantee that it will last through the years. It is also lightweight.
Lastly, the ergonomic design of the handle is also a plus. Pressing it will never require too much effort on your end. In no time, luscious and flavorful cookies will be ready for you and everyone to enjoy.
- Chrome construction
- Comes with 20 discs
- Easy to clean
- Not as popular as others
- You might end up wasting a lot of dough
One of the first things that you will notice about this cookie press is its aesthetics. The color combination of red and silver makes it attract attention of buyers. More than the way it looks, its functionality is also impressive.
If you want to have peace of mind, it will also help to know that the manufacturer is offering a 10-year warranty. With this, you can buy with confidence, knowing that the company stands by the quality of their product.
It is also a good thing that it comes with a knob on the top, which will make it easy for you to choose the desired size of the cookie. When the barrel is full of dough, you can make up to 25 large cookies and 40 small cookies.
If there is one problem, however, it would be that the barrel is not clear. This means that it will be difficult for you to monitor the level of dough inside.
- Elegant design
- Durable construction
- Can make variable sizes
- Barrel is not transparent
- Minimal dough capacity
The best cookie press is an excellent investment! You do not need to be a pro in baking to make your own delicious cookies. This product will make everything easier. However, all of its benefits will only be apparent if you choose the right one.
Amongst the five choices we have discussed above, OXO Good Grips Cookie Press with Stainless Steel Disks and Storage Case is perhaps the best. It comes with 12 discs and a transparent barrel, making it easy to monitor the dough. Whether you are a beginner or seasoned cookie maker, this is a good product to have.