For most of us, filleting fish (phi lê cá) is one task that is often dreaded. It can be a difficult job, especially if you are dealing with flesh that is too delicate. You need to handle it with care. For the best outcomes, it is highly-recommended that you use a top-notch filleting knife, preferably one that is electric.
If you are looking for the best electric fillet knife, keep on reading this guide. I will share with you some insights on how to take your pick, and more importantly, the five options that are worth considering. You will learn more about the features that make these products stand out above others within the competition.
Benefits of Electric Fillet Knives
If you still do not have an electric fillet knife
- Easy Deboning and Skinning: This is perhaps the top reason why you should have an electric fillet knife. It will allow you to accomplish the task quickly. As others would say, it is just like slicing butter. Minimal effort will be required on your end, while providing you with the assurance of the best outcomes.
- Retain Most of the Flesh: Another good thing about using an electric fillet knife is that it will lessen meat loss. In the case of regular knives, removing the bone can be a tricky process, and hence, you end up removing the flesh as well.
- Flexible Blade: The design of the blade is another feature that gives the electric fillet knife a distinction above a regular knife. This will allow you to go through hard to reach parts. You can do so easily without having to destroy the structure of the fish.
- Safety: Have you ever been injured because of using a filleting knife? This will not happen if you opt for one that is electric. It comes with a safety lock that will prevent accidental starting. You can have peace of mind when it is used.
Below is a short video that will show you how to use an electric fillet knife:
Things to Consider when Buying
How do you choose the best electric fillet knife? To easily make the right decision, the following are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Blade: This is perhaps the most important part of the electric fillet knife. Make sure that it is sharp enough to effortlessly fillet fish. To add, it should also be made from materials that can resist corrosion and rusting to make it last longer. Among others, stainless steel is the best material for the knife’s blade.
- Length: This would specifically refer to the length of the blade. Consider your needs or the types of fish (các loại cá) that will be filleted to choose the right length. If you think that you will be dealing with a large fish often, choose a longer blade, making it easier to reach all parts.
- Speed: You should pick an electric fillet knife that offers variable speed, which means that you can choose how fast or how slow it works, depending on what is required. Choose a knife with multiple cutting speeds so that it can offer versatility.
- Handle: It is also important that the handle sits nicely in your palm. A handle with an ergonomic design will make it easy to hold the knife, even for an extended period. This does not only mean that you will be comfortable, but it will also be vital when it comes to safety. The handle must be slip-resistant.
- Cord: Electric fillet knives are available in two types: corded or cordless. If you want the benefit of portability, a cordless knife is the best choice as it will allow you to use it almost anywhere. On the other hand, corded knives are known for being more powerful.
- Reviews: If you have no idea on which one makes the best choice, it will also be good to consult with the opinions of other people. You can simply go online and you will find a lot of users sharing their experiences. This is a good starting point to narrow down the possibilities and see how one product is different from all others.
- Warrant: If the manufacturer is confident about the quality of their product, they will most likely provide an extensive warranty coverage, which should provide you with peace of mind. This means that within the warranty period, they can repair or replace the knife once it proves to be defective, provided that the terms and conditions are met.
- Price: Without a doubt, many of us are budget-conscious buyers. However, you should not skimp on a kitchen gadget that is as useful as an electric fillet knife. You should not mind spending more if this would mean that the knife can deliver superior functionality.
Top Picks for the Best Electric Fillet Knife
In this section, we will have a rundown of five of the top choices for an electric fillet knife. To make you understand better why they are favored by many, we will also identify their remarkable features, as well as a few of their pros and cons.
The extra-sharp blade is one of the reasons why this is an exceptional choice within the product category. With the latter, you can expect that it will effortlessly fillet fish on its own. The problem, however, is that the length can be too short if you plan to deal with a large fish.
The lightweight design is also a plus. This will allow you to work on a fish even for a long time without having to suffer from discomfort. This is unlike other heavier knives that can easily lead to fatigue.
In terms of convenience, the quick-release mechanism of the blade is one feature that we find impressive. More so, when it comes to safety, it is a good thing that it comes with a safety lock, preventing the blade from starting to fillet when you are not yet ready.
Lastly, it is also a good thing that it comes with a heavy-duty motor that has a rigid housing. The latter will protect the internal components from wear and tear. Despite the power of the motor, it is commendable that the product is able to maintain minimal weight.
- Lightweight design
- Ergonomic handle
- Sharp blades
- Lacks flexibility
- Not long enough for large fish
Among others, one feature that is worth noting about this product is the heavy-duty motor, which is basically responsible for demonstrating an impressive performance. The motor can provide thrice the power that you can usually expect from most of the options within the product category.
The relaxed grip of the knife is one more thing that you will love. It comes with an ergonomic design, which means that holding it is less likely to cause discomfort, even if you will be filleting for an extended period. This also minimizes the fatigue that you can possibly feel.
The quality of the blade is also exceptional. It is sharp enough to deliver flawless cuts. The best thing is that it is also dishwasher-safe, making it effortless to have it maintained in its peak condition.
One problem that most people noted about this product is the fact that it is corded. However, this should not be too much of an issue as the cord has a length of 8 feet. This will make it easy for you to fillet fish even without having to be near the source of power.
- Equipped with a powerful motor
- Blade is easy to clean
- Sold at an affordable price
- Cord can limit its use
- Can be prone to overheating
Do not let the expensive price of this electric fillet knife put you off. With its top-notch features, it can definitely provide the best bang for the buck. It comes with a motor that delivers two times more torque compared to most of the options within the competitive landscape.
The advanced airflow design is one feature that has captivated the attention of many people. With the latter, you can expect that the motor will stay cool even if it is used for an extended period. This is unlike many others that can easily get too hot.
Also, based on independent tests, it has been proven that its lifespan is four times more compared to its competing models. This will provide you with the confidence that it will remain at its best even through the years.
Best of all, this model coms with several blades that can be interchanged in a snap. This will make it a good choice if you are looking for an electric knife that is versatile enough to be used in a variety of applications.
- Powerful motor
- Delivers consistent results
- Interchangeable blades
- Can run slow
- A bit expensive
The best thing about this knife is perhaps its portability. You can bring it almost anywhere. If you need to fillet fish in the campsite or beach, this will be a reliable companion. This is basically because of its cordless design.
Aside from being portable, this is also an exceptional choice because of its long functional. It comes with a lithium ion battery that can run for up to 80 continuous minutes. During the time it is running, expect that the power supplied will be consistent.
It is also exceptional that it comes with a low memory effect, which protects the battery of the unit and makes it last longer. This is the one responsible for increasing the rate of charge and discharge for the battery.
Lastly, it has an advanced airflow design for superior ventilation, which is required by the motor. This allows the unit to stay cool even with extended period of use. This is not only comfortable for the user, but will also be essential in prolonging the lifespan of the motor and the knife itself.
- Portable design
- Sharp blade
- Ergonomic handle
- Quite expensive
- Blade release button position could be better
The high-torque motor of this product is one thing that is commended by many people. It is said that it can deliver twice the power that you can find in conventional models. Also, it has four times the lifespan of most of its competitors, providing you with the assurance of its durability.
The versatile design of this model is also a plus. While the replacement blades are not included, the handle is compatible with the blades from the manufacturer. This will allow you to use it in several applications.
The advanced airflow design is also a good thing for this knife. This will keep the motor cool even after a long time of being used. This also offers a high level of protection for the internal components of the knife.
Lastly, the manufacturer is offering 2-year limited warranty. This is better than the standard 1-year warranty within the product category. You can rely on the support from the manufacturer if ever the product turns out to be defective.
- Long lifespan
- Motor stays cool
- Blade has exceptional sharpness
- Blades tend to reciprocate slowly
- Trigger is hard to push
So, what is the best electric fillet knife? If you will ask me, I would recommend Mister Twister 120V Electric Knife, which is especially perfect if you will be dealing with a small fish. The latter comes with extra-sharp blade that will make filleting and effortless task. It is also integrated with an ergonomic handle, which can deliver the highest level of comfort. For sure, even after using it for an extended time, you will not complain of discomfort.