If you go online and search for the best herb grinder, you might be surprised when the search results show those that are used for marijuana. These grinders usually have a universal design and they are not only for weed, but even for grinding spices that you can use for adding distinct flavor in your recipes.
In the rest of this post, we will share with you valuable information about herb grinders, including the essential factors that you have to consider when choosing the best. Most importantly, we will take a look at five of the best options that are currently available in the market.
Benefits of Using an Herb Grinder
If you are after convenience, a quick trip at the grocery will be a good way to get hold of tons of spices. They are already pre-ground and all that you have to do is add them in your dishes to achieve the taste that is desired. However, nothing beats using your own herb grinder.
Among other things, freshness is the best thing about having an herb grinder. You can prepare spices only when it is needed. This means that the flavor and aroma are still apparent, unlike in pre-ground alternatives.
Here is a short video that shows how you can use an herb grinder:
Types of Herb Grinder
One of the first things that you have to do is to decide on the specific type that is appropriate for your needs and budget. In this case, they can be categorized based on the following:
- Electric Herb Grinders: While this can make your job a lot easier, they are usually expensive and bulky. It is hassle-free since all that you have to do is place the herbs, push a button, and it works on its own. It is also excellent in terms of speed.
- Manual Herb Grinders: It works like traditional pepper mills. Effort will be required on your end, but this should not be a big problem. They are portable, compact, and can also be user-friendly, depending on the design of the product.
While you can categorize the herb grinders based on the way they are used, they can also be different in terms of the materials where they are made. Here are some of the choices that you will be confronted with:
- Wood: This is a traditional material that will perfectly complement a vintage kitchen. They might be the cheapest, but they also have the reputation of being the weakest herb grinder. Its pins will be easily prone to breakage and there is a risk of grinding wood instead of herbs.
- Metal: They may be pricey, but they are usually the best option that you can find in the market. They are unrivalled in terms of durability. They do not only perform well when grinding, but they are also effortless to clean. They have sharp teeth that makes grinding a lot easier.
- Plastic: If you are looking for cheap alternatives, these are popular. However, it is recommended that you stay away from these grinders. They can be prone to cracking and chipping. When plastic parts mix with your herbs, this can be an alarming situation.
Essential Factors to Consider
To make it easier for you to decide which one will make an exceptional choice, below are some of the most important factors that you should take into account:
- Chambers: Pay attention to the number of chambers. If you want one that is easy to use, choose one chamber grinder. Two-chamber grinders, on the other hand, have small holes for catching small particles. Lastly, three-chamber grinders have a screen, which will make herbs softer and purer.
- Design: This is especially important if you are using one that is manually-operated. The spice grinder should be ergonomic. It should not be too small or too large for your hand. It should be designed in such a way that it will promote your highest level of comfort.
- Ease of Use: No one would want to deal with a spice grinder that is full of complications. Especially if you are buying one that is electric, make sure that you can operate it in a manner that is straightforward.
- Cleaning and Maintenance: You should choose one that is effortless to clean and maintain. It is recommended that you sterilize it regularly to prevent the possibility of contamination.
- Durability: You also have to make sure that it will be able to withstand long-term use. If it easily breaks, it will be a waste of money. Especially if it is made from plastic or acrylic, chipping can also be a serious health concern.
- Warranty: If you want to have peace of mind, choose a product that comes with extensive warranty. This means that the manufacturer covers the product in case of defects. They will either repair it or issue a replacement.
- Feedbacks: Still having a hard time figuring out which one makes a great choice? You might want to read reviews that are found online. You can learn a lot from the experiences of other people, making it easy to see how one product is different from the other.
Top Picks for the Best Herb Grinder
In this section, we will go through some of the top products in the market. To help you out, we will identify their remarkable features, as well as a few of their pros and cons.
Among others, one thing that you might find impressive about this product is its exceptional construction. It is made from heavy-duty zinc alloy. This material is known for its leek finish and minimal weight.
The compact size of this herb grinder can be seen as a double-edged sword. It is a good thing that it is small, which means that it ca be portable. You can bring it if you have to prepare food in the campsite or beach. On the other hand, since it is small, you will also find yourself grinding several batches if you need a lot of herbs.
Another good thing about this product is the mesh screen. This will be effective in screening out fine pollens, making sure that they will not be mixed with the ground herbs. This is a good way to ensure purity of the herbs.
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the manufacturer is offering a lifetime warranty. If you are unhappy in anyway or if it starts to show defects, get in touch with the manufacturer and they will do what it takes to make you happy. Just make sure to read the terms and conditions to avoid the warranty from being voided.
- Made from excellent materials
- Lightweight and compact
- Minimal grinding capacity
- A bit difficult to grip
This is another option you might want to consider in your search for the best herb grinder. It is precision-milled, which is one thing that can convince you to choose it. Aircraft-grade aluminum is used in this product, which makes it long-lasting and lightweight.
If you are a budget-conscious buyer, you have another good reason to have it chosen above other alternatives that you can find in the market. Do not let the cheap price fool you. It is only price that is cheap, and not its quality.
The sharp-diamond cutting teeth is another feature that you might find to be impressive in this product. The latter allows it to grind efficiently. The blades do most of the work and minimal effort will be required on your end.
It is also a good thing that it comes with Neodymium magnets. The latter is helpful in terms of protection from external elements, such as odor and moisture.
Lastly, it is also a good thing that it comes with scratch-resistant finish. With the latter, it will not easily flake or peel, which will be indicative of its durability.
- High-grade materials
- Sharp teeth
- Small size
- Lacks an exceptional warranty
The heavy-duty construction of this herb grinder is one thing that I personally loved. With its low price, it is almost unbelievable that it made with the use of premium materials that are known for being long lasting. It has zinc minerals that are known for their durability.
One more reason why I love this is the 500-micron mesh screen. This will be effective in filtering out any impurities from grinding. The end product would be ground herbs that are fine and pure, resulting to optimal flavor.
Cleaning the unit will be effortless on your end. With this, there is no excuse for you to not clean it after every use. It is also a good thing that there is a pollen scraper included, making it easy to remove debris that might have been dislodged.
Lastly, it grinds smoothly and produces less friction. The latter is important for achieving optimal quality of the ground spices.
- Affordable price
- Made from excellent materials
- Contemporary style
- Can be difficult to open
- Minimal grinding capacity
With a diameter of 2.5 inches and height of 3.5 inches, one thing that you might love about this product is its generous capacity. The container can hold twice the amount that can be accommodated by the conventional options in the market.
It is also worth noting that it comes with 49 diamond-shaped teeth that are known for their sharpness. The latter will easily tackle different herbs, making sure that the results will be finely ground. However, you have to be careful as the teeth can be easily prone to breaking.
Design-wise, I liked how the bottom part is made from a transparent material. This means that you can easily see what is inside the grinder.
Lastly, if you have any doubt about this product, there is no need for you to worry. The manufacturer is offering a money-back guarantee. If you are unhappy with the product, you will be given a full refund.
- Large capacity
- Has a mesh filter
- Teeth can easily bend
- Top part may easily detach
Formax420 Zinc Alloy Herb Grinder Leaf Designed on Top Part 50mm 4-piece with Free Pollen Presser and Pollen Catcher
Unlike the products that have been mentioned above, this one seems to be designed for people who smoke weed. This is because of the way it is designed. On the top part, there is a leaf design, which makes it a common choice in the 420 industry.
In terms of its design, this can also prove to be an impressive product. I loved how it is compact, which means that you can grasp it with the use of only a single hand.
For those who are going to use this for smoking, another design element that makes this an excellent choice is that it can also double as an ash tray.
While the design screams that it is for weed, it works in the same way as other herb grinders, which is why you can also use it for preparing herbs for culinary applications.
- Durable construction
- Affordable price
- High yield
- Designed for weed smokers
- Quite heavy
With the best herb grinder, you will have a handy kitchen tool that can be used for adding distinct flavor and aroma in your dishes. They have simple and efficient design, making them user-friendly. They are available in a wide range of design and sizes. It is important to have a thorough research to evaluate the alternatives available in the market.
From the five products that have been mentioned above, if there is only one that I can personally recommend, it would be Platinum Grinders Herb Grinder with Pollen Catcher – Large 2.5 Inch 4-piece, Black Aluminum. The latter has exceptional construction that will make it deliver optimal performance. From form to function, this can be a reliable option.