In most kitchens, especially for those who love to cook, it is not enough to have a single knife. More often than not, we have a set of knives, which include chef’s, paring, utility, boning, bread, butcher, and carving knife, among others. In this case, it will also be good if you have the best knife block, which will help to keep them organized and protected.
If you are thinking about what knife block will make the best choice, keep on reading the rest of this guide. We will have a look at some of the most important factors to consider. More importantly, we will list down five of the choices that should be included in your list.
Benefits of a Knife Block
Do I need a knife block? Many of you may be asking this question. Yes – this is the answer. You need a knife block. If you need some compelling reasons to have one, here are some of their benefits:
- It Makes the Kitchen Organized: One of the best things about using a knife block is that it prevents mess in the kitchen. Your knives will not be scattered everywhere. They are in a single block, which also means that they are easy to access when needed.
- It Prolongs Functional Life of your Knives: A knife block is meant to provide a safe place to keep your knives. It gives shield from dirt and dust, among other external elements that could possibly speed up wear and tear.
- It Keeps Knives Away from Children: Another good reason about investing in a knife block is safety. It keeps the knives out of reach of small children. Kids might think that knives are toys and they might just grab it if they see it anywhere in the counter.
- It is Stylish: Knife blocks are excellent not only in terms of form, but also when it comes to function. This is basically because they can also act as an excellent decorative piece in the kitchen, making your space look more appealing.
Here are some examples of stylish knife blocks that will surely add a hint of style in the kitchen:
Choosing the Best Knife Block
In your search for a high-quality knife block, the following are some of the most important factors that should be taken into account:
- Type: The traditional block that stands horizontally is perhaps the most popular. There are also drawer knife blocks, which are horizontal and will be space-efficient. Magnetic knife blocks are also common.
- Material: Among others, bamboo is one of the most popular materials for knife block. It is eco-friendly and can resist the growth of bacteria, which will be excellent in the prevention of cross contamination. There are also some that are made from pine wood and often stained to make it better in terms of aesthetics.
- Size: There are different factors that will have an impact on the right size of the knife block. For instance, you should consider how much space is available in the kitchen. In the same way, you should also think about the number of knives that you intend to keep in the block.
- Warranty: This is one of the things that can make you confident about the purchase that you will be making. If the manufacturer is confident about the quality of their product, they will not hesitate to give an extensive warranty coverage, which will give you an assurance of satisfaction.
- Reviews: You should also take time to read the reviews from other people. Through their insights and experiences, it will be easier for you to understand how one product is different from the other. It will help you to narrow down your options.
- Inclusions: Some knife blocks include a set of knives. They can be more expensive, but they can also be excellent. The next section tackles some of the most important considerations in choosing knives.
Pay Attention to the Knives
In most cases, a knife block comes as a set. With this, it will be inclusive of knives. With this, the following are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Types of Knives: First, look at the knives that are inclusive in the set. You do not need a lot, you just need to have the basics. With this, the most important are chef’s, utility, and paring knives. Some have bread and steak knives, but you can do with the three knives mentioned earlier.
- Blade: Another important consideration is the material that is used in the blade. In terms of sharpness, high-carbon steel is the best, which can also prove to be excellent when it comes to durability. See to it that the blade is not only sharp, but it should not be easily prone to rusting as well.
- Handle: An ergonomic handle is also important for your comfort and to minimize fatigue. It will also be indicative of durability. For instance, stainless steel handle is not easily prone to rusting.
Top Picks and Reviews for the Best Knife Block
If you have no idea on what makes an excellent pick, in this section, we will have a quick rundown of some of the best brands and models that can provide the best bang for the buck.
This is one of the best choices for anyone who is looking for an affordable option. It comes with five different knives, which are made using high-quality stainless steel. It has a chef, bread, carving, utility, and paring knife. These are the basic knives that you will need for most culinary applications.
Aside from having different knives, another thing that is impressive in this product is the conservative thickness of the blade. This is reflective of the combination of form and function. It is not only elegant-looking, but it is sharp enough to perform its specific functions.
The acrylic stand is one thing that makes it more impressive. It has a transparent surface, which will expose the blades of the knife. Some people might not like it, but for others, it gives it a more elegant appeal. Compared to traditional blocks, it is more space-efficient, which makes it great for small kitchens.
- Knives cut clean and sharp
- Elegant design
- Comes with an affordable price
- Knives can be prone to rusting
- Handle can easily break
The block of this knife set is one of its most impressive features. It comes with an elegant design that makes it look stylish. This can be an excellent addition to your kitchen as it can complement almost any décor.
If you want to have peace of mind, this can be an excellent choice as well. One thing that makes sure of the latter is the Lifetime Warranty that is offered by the manufacturer. Plus, the mere fact that it is made by Cuisinart can already be a compelling reason to choose it above other alternatives.
The set is inclusive of 4.5-inch steak knives, which are heat-forged. They do not only look stylish, but they are also excellent in terms of comfort. Handling the knife will surely be a breeze because of the way the handle is designed.
Lastly, the strong bolster of the knife is also a plus. This is good not only in terms of ergonomics, but will also allow you to use the knife in the most stable manner that is possible. This lessens the likelihood of suffering from an injury.
- Made by a trusted brand
- Well-designed handle
- Comes with a beautiful block
- Can be prone to rusting
- Knives may require frequent sharpening
Unlike in the case of the two products that are mentioned above, this is only a knife block. It does not come with the actual knives. If there is one thing that makes it better, it is the fact that it is cheaper. You can use whatever knives you have and there is no need to worry as the slots are designed to fit most blade sizes.
One of the most impressive things about this product is the use of bamboo as the main material for the block. It is not only stylish and eco-friendly, but it can also resist the growth of bacteria. This is excellent when it comes to hygiene and will lessen the likelihood of suffering from cross contamination.
The affordable price is also a plus. As the company claims, this is because they do not rely on endorsements from celebrities or aggressive marketing. They let the product speak for itself.
Lastly, it should also be pointed out that it comes with a satisfaction guarantee. If you are unhappy with the use of the product, just inform the manufacturer and they will do what is needed to make you happy with your purchase.
- Comes with a stylish design
- Affordable knives
- Resists the growth of bacteria
- Knives are not included
- Can be large for small kitchens
This knife block is the perfect choice for anyone who is serious in the kitchen. One thing that you will find impressive about this product is the fact that it is inclusive of almost all knives that you will need, such as steak, bread, utility, and santoku knives.
The Full Lifetime Warranty that is offered by the manufacturer is one more reason why this knife block set was able to make a name for itself. However, it is important to follow the terms and conditions from the manufacturer to be eligible of such privilege.
The block itself is made from high-quality pinewood, making it an excellent way to improve the aesthetics of the kitchen. It is also stained, which makes it look even better.
Lastly, as the manufacturer claims, it will not rust. You might see some conflicting claims, with some people saying that it will rust at some point. To prevent the latter from happening, make sure that it will be cleaned only through hand-washing.
- Knives have impressive sharpness
- Includes a lot of knives
- Not easily prone to rusting
- Expensive price
- Flimsy handle
Knife Block by Utopia Kitchen
In your search for the best knife block, one of the first things you should consider is the choice of material, which is highly-indicative of the quality. With this product, it is made from pine wood. It has a stained appearance, which makes it more stylish.
We also loved how this knife block comes with a generous capacity. There are 19 slots, which will make sure that there is more than enough room for all your knives. Even for serious chefs, this is sure to be an excellent choice. There are also dedicated slots for scissors and a sharpening rod.
Another good thing about the slots is that they are blade-friendly. They are designed in such a way that they will not contribute to the dullness of the blade.
Lastly, the rugged construction of the knife block also gives it a positive reputation. Given its affordable price, it is amazing that this product is built to withstand the test of time.
- Made using a durable wood
- Has lots of slots
- Comes with an affordable price
- Can be space consuming for some kitchens
- Finish is not smooth
Whether you are a casual cook who loves to spend time in the kitchen or a seasoned chef who has discerning preferences, having the best knife block is a good thing. It will make it easy to keep your knives organized and will make them less prone to wear and tear as they are protected from external elements. Some blocks are even inclusive of high-quality knives.
From the five products that we have briefly tackled above, I believe that In-Drawer Bamboo Knife Block by Shenzhen Knives stands out from all others. It is a bare block, which is why it is more affordable compared to those with knives. It is made from bamboo, which is an eco-friendly material that can resist bacterial growth. It has numerous wide slots that can fit different types of knives.