Lasagna is one of the most popular pasta dishes around the world. Many people attempt to do it at their own homes. To yield the highest level of success, you must use the right ingredients, master the right techniques, and most importantly, use the right bakeware. In this case, it is necessary that you invest in the best lasagna pan.
The right pan will turn you into an instant chef, even without much background in culinary. With the abundance of the options, however, which one will make the best choice? If you are clueless, we will help you decide which one can provide the best bang for the buck while also making sure that you can make the best lasagna!
Types of Lasagna Pan
To differentiate the lasagna pans that are available in the market, let us have a quick look at their different materials and the distinct characteristics of each:
- Stainless Steel: This is the most popular from all the types. This is an excellent choice for a metal pan because of its better browning capability. It is made better by the fact that it is rust-proof and scratch-proof. The problem, however, is that it is a poor conductor of heat.
- Stoneware: They are known for being able to withstand even extreme heat and they are also long-lasting. Also, the material can retain heat even after taking it out of the oven, which will help in keeping the lasagna warm.
- Silicone: It offers even heating and it comes with a non-stick surface. Although this is a relatively new material, it is undeniably gaining popularity nowadays. The best thing about this pan is that it is space-efficient since you can easily fold it when not used.
- Aluminum: Like stainless steel, it can also resist scratch and rust, making it a durable option for a lasagna pan. It is also an excellent heat conductor. However, it reacts heavily to acidic food and the metal taste can be apparent in your dish.
- Cast Iron: This is another material that can be impressive in terms of its strength. It can be used not only in the oven, but also in different types of stove. However, when using this pan, keep in mind that pre-heating is necessary.
- Glass: One of the best things about this material is that it does not leave an acidic or metallic taste to your food. It is also excellent when it comes to aesthetics, which means that you can take the glass pan straight from the oven and serve it at the dining table.
- Ceramic: If you are looking for durability, this is one option that you should consider. It might be a bit heavier, but it can be long-lasting, provided that it is handled with care. The problem with this material, however, is its minimal ability to retain heat.
Essential Factors to Consider
As you search for the best lasagna pan, take the time to consider the factors that are mentioned below, which will make it easier for you to narrow down the possibilities:
- Size: There is no rule of thumb when it comes to size. The most important consideration is the size of the oven that you will be using. Also, think about how much will be cooked to find the pan with the right capacity.
- Depth: In lasagna pans, deeper is usually better. This is basically because you will have the opportunity to create more layers of pasta, cheese, and sauce. The depth of the pan can usually be two to three inches.
- Handles: As much as possible, choose a lasagna pan that is designed with handles, which will make it easy to put it in the oven and take it out when needed. The handle should offer an easy grip. It will also be good if you can flip the handles so that it will be more space-efficient in the storage room.
- Style: This is one thing that is often ignored by many. If you choose a stylish pan, you can serve it straight to the table. It must look good even with other tableware and should perfectly complement your table setup during special occasions.
Making the Perfect Lasagna
Yes, using the best pan will help to achieve the best outcomes for a lasagna pan. However, this is not a guarantee that you will end up with the best outcomes. There are also some important tips that you have to keep in mind, including those that are mentioned below:
- One of the most important is choosing the right pasta. The best choice is no-boil noodles. Other types of noodles will most likely end up soggy. No-boil noodles, on the other hand, are known for not absorbing excess liquid.
- Aside from the pasta, make sure that you also choose the right type of meat. In this case, leftover meat is the best. Meat, especially ribs, will actually improve when they are refrigerated for a couple of days. This is good not only for salvaging leftovers, but also for a more flavorful dish.
- The right choice of cheese is also critical for the quality and flavor of your lasagna. Ricotta is recommended by many, but this can actually cause the surface to turn dry and cracked. One of the ways to avoid such is to add béchamel sauce on the top, which will add not only flavor, but also moisture.
- Pay attention as well to the right assembly of the ingredients on a pan. Smother the pan with a thick sauce so that the pasta won’t end up sticking on the surface. The layering of the noodles, cheese, and sauce should also be done properly and in right proportions.
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes before you cut and eat the dish. Patience is a virtue, even when it comes to baking lasagna. Giving it the time to cool down will lead to the maximum flavor and also make it easier to cut the pasta into portions.
Interested to learn how to make lasagna? Below is a short video that will help:
Top Picks for the Best Lasagna Pan
If you are clueless about what to pick, below are five of the products that you might want to take into consideration.
If you are looking for an option that is perfect in terms of affordability, this is one that should be on the top of your list. This is ideal for budget-conscious buyers who are unwilling to compromise quality. After all, it is made by Pyrex, one of the most trusted brands in the market.
It is also a good thing that it is made from glass. Some may be concerned about its durability, but it is thick enough, making it long-lasting. Glass is an excellent choice because it does not react to acidity, and hence, there is no metal taste in your lasagna.
Another good thing about the glass that is used in this lasagna pan is its ability to survive even extreme temperature. There is no need to worry that it will crack or demonstrate brittleness when in the oven. Even through the years, the glass quality will remain exceptional.
It is dishwashers-safe and cleaning it will not be a hard task. Because it is non-metal, there is no need to worry about scratches. Also, food will not stick to the surface.
- Affordable price
- Easy to clean
- Can withstand elevated temperature
- Handle quality could be better
- Glass has lots of visible lines
The high-quality porcelain that is used in this lasagna pan is one thing that you might find to be impressive. It is a material that is known for its durability. Also, it makes a perfect serving ware because of its minimalist appeal.
If there is one problem, however, it would be that there are no handles on the side. This might make it difficult for you to lift the pan out of the oven or when serving it on the table. You can bake and serve in a single dish and transition easily from the oven to the table.
Lastly, it is also a durable pan. Aside from being useful as a tableware, it can also be perfect for roasting and baking, among others.
- Can be used even in the toaster oven
- Perfect even as a serving ware
- Easy to clean
- No handles
- Not true to its size
When it comes to companies known for their kitchen products, Cuisinart is perhaps one of the most popular. This lasagna pan has a stylish two-tone color that also makes it perfect not only for cooking, but also for serving.
The wide handle is also a plus. This will make it a breeze for you to lift the pan when needed. It also has an ergonomic design, which is why it is easy to grip.
This pan is made from cast iron, which is an impressive material. It can be quite heavy, but it is a good thing that it will last for a long time. Such material is also known for demonstrating excellent heat retention.
- Beautiful design
- Heats up quickly
- Retains the heat in lasagna for a long time
- A bit expensive
If there is one thing that makes it distinct from most of the choices for a lasagna pan, it would be its design. It has three partitions. The pan is divided into three parts, which means that you can bake different recipes in each well.
Aside from its flexibility, it is also exceptional because of ease of cleaning. One of the reasons for the latter is the fact that the surface comes with a nonstick coating. It is also a good thing that the pan itself is dishwasher-safe.
Need one good reason to be convinced to choose this pan? Well, the manufacturer is offering a lifetime warranty. This can provide you with peace of mind since the manufacturer guarantees that the pan will be free from defects.
- Comes with three portions
- Can be used even for baking bread
- Durable construction
- Too big for some ovens
- Depth could have been better
The stainless steel construction is one of the best things about this product. It is excellent when it comes to durability. It is also rust-proof. However, there are some complaints about how the exterior can easily get hot, so you have to be careful when handling the pan.
It is also a good thing that it comes with chrome racks. This will make the pan multifunctional as you can use it even for roasting, and not just for baking lasagna.
The foldable handle, although a bit thick compared to others, can also be impressive. This makes it easy to lift the pan. More so, since they are collapsed when not lifted, it will help to make it space-efficient when you keep it in the cabinet.
- Many other uses aside from baking lasagna
- Durable stainless steel construction
- Easy to clean
- Exterior easily gets hot
- Thin handle
The best lasagna pan is an essential investment for someone who is serious in the kitchen. An excellent choice would be one that can be used from the oven to the table, which means that it should be good enough not only for baking, but also for serving. From the right material to the right size, certain factors should come into play as you decide which one to pick.
From the five products mentioned above, if there is one I can personally recommend, it would be Pyrex Basics Clear Oblong Glass Baking Dishes, 2-piece Value Plus Pack Set. It is made by one of the most trusted brands in the market. It already comes in a set of two pans, plus, it is sold at an affordable price. For sure, this will make your lasagna taste even better!