A meat grinder can prove to be useful in more ways than one. Whether it is ground meat for your pasta, sausage, or hamburger patties, it can come handy. You will have complete control on what goes into your meat and its taste.
If you are looking for the best manual meat grinder that is available in the market, there is no need to search elsewhere. In the rest of this buying guide, we will let you know how to choose and what to pick. By the time that you are finished reading, we hope that it will be easier to decide which product can provide the best bang for the buck.
Types of Meat Grinder
Before anything else, you need to think about what type works best for your needs. In this case, the following are some of the options that you will be confronted with:
Manual Meat Grinders
The products that we will discuss below all fall within this category. They have to be operated manually, which is why they will require an effort on your end. They have a hand crank and they can grind up to three pounds of meat in a minute.
Electric Meat Grinders
With this type, lesser effort will be required on your end. This is a great product if you are a regular user or if you grind meat for commercial purposes. You will be able to grind more within a short span of time.
Choosing a Manual Meat Grinder
As you try to narrow down the options that are available in the market, the following are some of the most important things that should be taken into consideration:
- Material: Think about the main material that is used in the meat grinder. Among others, stainless steel is a good choice. The latter is excellent in terms of its durability, despite its higher price tag. If you are looking for a budget-friendly alternative, there are grinders that are made from plastic.
- Ease of Use: Choose a meat grinder that is as user-friendly as possible. From the design of the handle to the way the grinder is used, it must be designed with your needs in mind. With this, you will be able to use it in a manner that is quick and almost effortless.
- Ease of Cleaning: Aside from being easy to use, it is also important that he unit is effortless to clean and maintain. As much as possible, choose those that are dishwasher-safe. However, make sure that there are some parts that can be damaged easily when placed in the dishwasher.
- Size: There is no wrong or right answer when it comes to the best size of the grinder. At the end of the day, you have to think about the quantity of the meat you will be grinding. If it is for occasional use and less meat, a compact grinder will be ideal. For commercial uses, on the other hand, you might need a larger one.
- Stability: Sometimes, because of exerting too much effort when cranking the handle of the grinder, it might end up moving. With this, pick one that stays stable on the surface. Some have a clamp, making it possible to have it securely attached on the table.
- Blade: The overall quality of the blade is another essential consideration. You need to make sure that it is sharp enough and that it stays that way for an extended period. Stainless steel is a common material, which is known for its durability.
- Safety: Pay attention as well to the features that will ensure your safety when using the meat grinder. You must be able to easily disassemble them without hurting yourself. You must be able to take out the blade easily so that the risk of being accidentally cut will be minimal.
- Warranty: This will provide you with peace of mind. If ever the product experiences defects within the warranty duration, you can have it returned to the manufacturer and they will fix it at no cost on your part.
Taking care of your Manual Meat Grinder
With frequent and long-term use, it is inevitable that the meat grinder will show signs of wear and tear. To keep it in its peak condition, the following are some of the most important tips you have to keep in mind:
- Pay attention to the instructions from the manufacturer. There are some parts that are dishwasher-safe, but some should be cleaned only through handwashing.
- Clean the grinder immediately right after every use. The longer you wait, the harder will be the meat and the more difficult it will be to remove.
- Before you disassemble the grinder and make it ready for cleaning, grind two slices of bread. This will help to get rid of the excess meat and hence, making it easier to clean.
- When the parts are disassembled, soak them in water with soapy solution. Scrub the other parts using a clean sponge. Also, make sure that they are dry before putting the pieces together.
- Proper storage is equally important as cleaning the meat grinder. If you intend to keep it for the long-term, it will be good to have it lubricated as it can help in the prevention of rusting.
- For the smaller parts, it will be good to keep it in a re-sealable bag with rice, which will protect it from damages that can be caused by the external environment.
- To make sure that it will be easy to clean the grinder after use, make sure that the meat is cold. You should also slice it into smaller parts. It will make grinding a lot easier while also keeping the mess at minimum.
- Be sure as well to read the instructions from the manufacturer and follow it religiously. Follow what they state, including the maximum meat capacity and the instructions for keeping the unit clean.
The short video below will provide you with a quick visual guide on cleaning and storage of meat grinders:
Top Picks for the Best Manual Meat Grinder
Clueless about what meat grinder to buy? If you have no idea on what will make a great pick, in this section, we will provide you with a glimpse at five of the best products you might want to consider.
Simplicity – this is the top reason why we are recommending this product as one of the best. All that you need to do is to fill it with your meat of choice and turn the crank to grind the meat. There is no technical expertise required.
The sturdy construction is also a plus. It is made from a combination of stainless steel and plastic, allowing it to deliver long-term functionality. Sadly, there are some complaints with regards to how the handle is not as durable as the rest of its body.
This is the perfect companion in the kitchen because of its versatility. Yes, it is a meat grinder, but this does not limit its functionality. You can also use it for making sauces and soups, among others.
Lastly, it is also a good thing that it comes with dishwasher-safe parts. The latter will make sure that cleaning and maintaining it will be easy on your part.
- Does not leak
- Effortless to clean
- Blades are strategically-positioned
- Handle can be flimsy
- Fatty meat can be hard to grind
This is another option that ranks well when it comes to being user-friendly. With its straightforward design, you can be sure that using this will be almost effortless on your end.
Among other things, the versatility of this meat grinder is one of the many reasons why we are including this in our list. There are three different funnel sizes, which will allow you to use it as well as a sausage stuffer. To add, it is also designed in such a way that it will allow you to make your own pasta at home.
Cleaning and maintenance are two things that you never have to worry about. Most of the parts can be easily removed and they are dishwasher-safe. However, to keep the stainless steel plate in its peak condition, be sure to wash it only by hand.
Lastly, it comes with stainless steel blades that are made in Japan, which are reflective of premium quality. However, it is important to note that it is best only for light-duty grinding.
- User-friendly design
- Produces great results
- Stable base
- Only for light grinding
- Minimal capacity
This is not only a meat grinder. It is also a sausage stuffer. At its price, you will be happy to know that it can deliver dual function in a single product. With this, it makes an excellent addition for your kitchen tools.
The stability of this meat grinder is also a plus. Unlike most of the options that you will be confronted with, it comes with a clamp, which will make it easy to have it secured in the counter. Regardless of the intensity of grinding, you can be sure that it will remain stable.
It is also a good thing that it comes with cast iron construction, which is excellent in terms of durability. Other parts are made from solid stainless steel, providing you with the guarantee that it will last for many years.
Before grinding the meat, however, be sure to cut them first into small pieces. The latter will make the entire process a lot easier.
- Sturdy construction
- Creates uniform ground meat
- Easy to control
- No option to adjust coarseness
- Not for thick cuts of meat
Among other things, the stainless steel construction is one of the best about this product. This provides it with an industrial look. More than aesthetics, such material is also excellent because of its durability.
Like in the case of the product that has been discussed above, it also comes with a clamp design. There is a large opening, which will allow you to use it in different tables, including those with a surface that is thick.
This is also an excellent choice if you want a product that can prove to be multifunctional. Aside from grinding meat, you can also use it for stuffing sausage. To add, there are also two plates, both of which are made from stainless steel. You can choose from coarse or fine, depending on how you want the meat to be.
- Rust-proof body
- Industrial design
- Can be used as a sausage stuffer
- Feeding tube has minimal capacity
- Can have rough edges
The hand crank in this meat grinder is one of the features that makes it a notch above most of its competitors. It comes with an ergonomic design, which makes it easy to hold. This minimizes the possibility of suffering from fatigue and discomfort.
The strength of the suction base is also a plus for this product. This means that the grinder will stay on its place, unlike in the case of others that tend to walk away. Regardless of the intensity of the grinding, it will remain on the surface.
It is also a good thing that it offers value for money. There is already a meat pusher that is included. Plus, there is also grinding blade and disc.
- Has a plunger
- Stays stable on its base
- Handle has ergonomic design
- Not for tough cuts of meat
- Feed tube is small
Now that you have reached the end of this post, we hope that choosing the best manual meat grinder can be a lot easier. At the end of the day, it should not just be all about the price of the product. Consider its durability, functionality, and ease of use, among other things.
From the five products that have been mentioned above, I believe that Gideon Hand Crank Manual Meat Grinder stands out from many others. It can deliver an impressive grinding performance while making sure that using it will be almost effortless on your end.