Do you like making cappuccino and latte at home? If you do, you will benefit from investing in the best milk frother. The latter is one simple tool that will make it easy for you to turn into an expert barista. You will be able to prepare creamy and rich drinks in an instant with milk on top!
If you are thinking of buying a milk frother but having a hard time reaching a decision, keep on reading the rest of this post. I will share with you some of the things that will make your search a lot easier. I will also provide you with a quick look at five of the products that have been well-received by many others.
Types of Milk Frother
While there are many factors that should be taken into account, one of the first things that you should think of is the type of milk frother that is best suited for your needs. With this, the following are the types that you will be confronted with:
- Plunger Milk Frother: As the name implies, this one comes with a plunger, which you have to manually push all the way to the bottom to create froth. This will require more effort on your end and not ideal for people with weak wrists.
- Handheld Milk Frother: This is a battery-operated milk frother. It will create foam, but the problem is that the bubbles will not be uniform. For home applications, this will be more than enough.
- Electric Milk Frother: If you want the best outcomes, this is the option that you should choose, which is also usually the most expensive from the three. This is capable of making thicker and richer froth. Hence, the quality of the froth will be hard to rival by any other type.
How to Choose a Milk Frother
If you are clueless on which one will make the best pick, below are some of the most important factors that you need to take into consideration:
- Capacity: If you intend to make drinks for your own only, a small one will be enough. On the other hand, if it is for a large household or for a business, choose one that is larger as this will allow you to save a lot of time.
- Ease of Use: Choose a user-friendly milk frother, which means that using it will require minimal effort on your end. There should be few buttons, which will be indicative of lack of complications. The manufacturer must also provide comprehensive instructions.
- Ease of Cleaning: It is not enough that it is easy to use. It should be also easy to clean and maintain. As much as possible, pick one that is dishwasher-safe. It will also be good if there are removable parts so that you can easily clean them.
- Aesthetics: Most of the milk frothers are made from shiny chrome metal. There are some made from clear plastic. See to it that it has an appealing design, making it a great addition in the kitchen. If it looks good, it will also be a decorative piece and you will not feel the need to hide it in the cabinet.
- Material: This is important because it will have a direct impact on the function and performance of the milk frother. If it is made from stainless steel, make sure that it is thick enough and that there is sufficient insulation. If it is made from glass, on the other hand, it must be able to resist even extreme heat.
- Handle: It is one part of the frother than you should not ignore. There should be a well-designed handle, which will allow you to easily pour milk in a cup. It should accommodate even large hand and should have a solid grip.
- Speed: Undeniably, most of us do not have the luxury of time. By nature, we are all impatient. With this, I highly-recommend that you pick one that will create milk froth in an instant. Especially for the electric ones, it should have a quick heat up time.
- Warranty: This is important as it can provide you with peace of mind. The warranty period refers to the duration by which the manufacturer can offer free repair and replacement of defective parts. However, make sure to abide with the terms and conditions specified by the manufacturer.
Tips in Making Milk Froth
It will be a good thing if you have the best milk frother. However, such alone is not a guarantee that you will be able to make the perfect milk froth. For the perfect outcomes, below are some of the most important tips to keep in mind:
- One of the most important is the quality of your milk. Fresh milk is always the best choice. Keep in mind as well that the higher is the fat content, the sweeter it will be.
- How exactly do you determine the freshness of the milk that will be used? For frothing purposes, make sure to use the milk within ten days.
- Once milk for the froth has already been steamed, do not add fresh milk. This will encourage the growth of bacteria.
- Achieving the right temperature of the milk that you will use is another essential consideration. The ideal temperature of milk is 65 to 70 degrees Celsius. If it is higher, the proteins will end up breaking down and this will negatively impact the flavor.
Ready to make your own milk froth? Be sure to avoid the mistakes that will be briefly discussed in the short video below:
Top Picks for the Best Milk Frother
In this section, we will look at five of the brands and models that are worth your attention. To help you evaluate each product, we will list down some of their features, as well as a few of their pros and cons.
The versatility of this milk frother is one of the reasons why I am personally recommending it as one of the best in the market. It will allow you to make hot or cold drinks, as preferred. Regardless of which one you make, you can be assured that the right temperature will be achieved. Aside from hot froth and cold froth, there is also a setting for hot milk.
In terms of construction, you will have another good reason to have it chosen above all others. It is made from durable stainless steel. It is not only good-looking, but also long-lasting. You might also love the vacuum insulation, which gives it the ability to maintain optimal temperature.
The design of the carafe is also exceptional. You can easily have it detached from the base. This will allow you to pour the drink easily from the unit to your cup. This is unlike in the case of other models wherein the cord can get on the way.
Lastly, it comes with a two-year warranty from the manufacturer. This provides you with a guarantee of its reliable performance. Otherwise, the manufacturer has got you covered.
- Durable construction
- Maintains optimal temperature of your drink
- Multiple settings
- Can easily become loose
- Can burn milk
Simplicity – this is basically why I believe this is another great choice within the product category. Using this frother is pretty much straightforward. It does not have the bells and whistles of higher end models, but this is actually a good thing, especially if you are a beginner.
This model is a bit small, but this can be a benefit, especially for small households or offices. This means that it is going to be space-efficient. When making hot milk, the capacity is 250 milliliters. On the other hand, for making milk froth, it has a capacity of 130 milliliters.
Aside from the main unit, when you purchase this product, it comes with two other accessories. You will also receive a plastic paddle and wire whip.
Lastly, even if the unit is not dishwasher-safe, you can expect that cleaning it will be a breeze. Just rinse it with warm water and wipe using a clean cloth. You do not have to exert too much effort to maintain its peak condition.
- Makes froth quickly
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Lack of options for customization
- Heat may be unstable
The first thing that you will notice about this milk frother is its attractive design. This is not one of those kitchen appliances that you will feel compelled to hide in the cabinet. It has an elegant and sleek design that is sure to captivate the attention of your guests.
This is also excellent if you are looking for a versatile addition in your roster of coffee-making tools. Whether you are making lattes or cappuccinos, you can expect it to deliver dependable performance. You can use it for both hot milk and milk froth.
It is also worth noting that it comes with stainless steel exterior. This is one of the reasons why it is hard to beat in terms of aesthetics. More than this, it also features vacuum insulation, which is the one that is responsible for maintaining the right temperature of milk.
- Comes with an elegant design
- Reasonable price
- Makes froth quickly and easily
- Not long-lasting
- Can be tricky to clean
This should be on the top of your list if you are looking for a product that comes with an affordable price. More than just being budget-friendly, it is also reliable. The main reason why this is cheap is the fact that it is a manual milk frother. Nonetheless, even if it is operated manually, you can produce air foam in just about half a minute.
Unlike most of the options that are available, which are made from stainless steel, this one comes with a glass carafe and handle. It is quite fragile, which makes it important to handle it with care. Nonetheless, it is borosilicate glass, which allows it to resist heat.
Lastly, this is also an excellent choice if you are looking for an option that will be effortless to clean. The carafe and the plunger are both dishwasher-safe.
- Froth does not spill
- Has a microwave-safe carafe
- Fragile class
- Can be difficult to pump
Among others, the overall construction of this product is one thing that deserves to be given emphasis. It is made from thick stainless steel, unlike others that are thin. This also makes it excellent when it comes to insulation, allowing it to maintain the right temperature.
From using the unit to having it cleaned, there is no need to exert too much effort. This is one of the most user-friendly options that you can find in the market. It even comes with a detachable base, allowing you to easily lift the carafe when it is time to pour the milk.
With this product, you will be able to make 250 milliliters of hot milk or 125 milliliters or milk froth.
Lastly, it is also a good thing that it is already inclusive of two whisks. Whether it is just for heating milk or for frothing, there is a whisk that will do the job perfectly.
- Made from thick stainless steel
- Excellent non-stick coating
- Can be prone to leaking
- Quite expensive
I bet, you search for the best milk frother will never be an easy task. To start with, the options will be almost endless. However, this does not mean that you can choose just any product. Be responsible enough to differentiate the possibilities and to make an intelligent decision, which necessitates the need to go beyond price.
From the five products that we have mentioned above, if there is only one that I can personally recommend, it would be Epica Automatic Electric Milk Frother and Heater Carafe. If you are looking for reliability and durability, this should be on the top of your list. For sure, creating milk froth will be effortless and you will be highly-satisfied with the outcome.