Best Pocket Knife Sharpener: Keeping Your Knives in Tip-Top Condition
While a pocket knife may seem small, it can prove to be useful in more ways than one, especially when it comes to survival and emergency situations. However, its benefits can only be maximized if you keep its blade in its peak condition, which is why you should keep it sharp. This is where the importance of the best pocket knife sharpener enters the picture.
If you are searching for a sharpener that will work best for your pocket knives, this is a guide that you should read. We will let you know some of the most important things to consider, as well as the five products that you should include in your list of choices.
Types of Pocket Knife Sharpeners
For sure, a lot of you will be clueless on what will make the best pick. While there are many considerations, one of the first thing you have to think about is the specific type of the sharpener that you will choose. In this case, the following are the options that you will have:
- Sharpening Stones
- Ceramic Rod
- Diamond Plates
Since the ancient times, stone is a favored choice when sharpening knives. They are made using natural stone, which is strong enough to last long and to make sure that it will be able to sharpen even the toughest blade.
As the name implies, it is a rod that is made from ceramic. It is a good way to have a fine edge on your pocket knife. There is also a variation of the rod pocket knife sharpener that uses diamond.
These pocket knife sharpeners make use of diamond chips that are incorporated in steel or aluminum, among other common materials. They are known for being long-lasting and resulting to incredible sharpness of the knife.
The short video below shows how to sharpen a pocket knife with the use of a standard water stone.
Choosing the Best Pocket Knife Sharpener
To make it easier for you to differentiate the possibilities, the following are some of the critical factors that should be taken into account:
- Reviews: How is one product different from the other? If you want to know the answer, you should take time to gather feedbacks from other people, such as in the form of online reviews. With their opinions and experiences, it will be a lot easier to narrow down the possibilities.
- Size: Think about where you will be using the sharpener. If it will be used outdoors, choose one that comes with a compact and lightweight design, which will make it easy to carry. On the other hand, if it is to be used at home, size will be less of an issue.
- Versatility: If you want value for money, pick a product that can be used in more ways than one. Some can be useful for different types of pocket knives and blades. Others, however, are designed in a manner that they can also function as a survival or camping tool.
- Ease of Use: It is important that it comes with a simple design, which also means that it will be user-friendly. To add, pick one that comes with rubber grips. The latter will make sure that you can handle it comfortably and that it won’t slip out of your hand.
- Safety: A lot of people have injured themselves because of using pocket knife sharpeners that lack features to ensure safety. It is important that they are equipped with blade guides. To add, they should also have a stable base so that it will keep in a steady position as it sharpens.
- Durability: You should also pay attention to how well-made is the pocket knife sharpener that you will be purchasing. It should be made from top-notch materials that could withstand the test of time. Nonetheless, even if they are made with premium construction, proper care and maintenance will be the key to make them last for many years.
- Warranty: The standard warranty is one year. Other brands, however, are offering warranty that lasts for a lifetime. This means that they will repair or replace the knife within the warranty period if it shows signs of defects, provided that you have satisfied the terms and conditions.
Care and Maintenance of your Pocket Knives
To keep the pocket knife in its best condition, the use of the right sharpener is one of the most important things to do. Other than this, pay attention to the tips that are mentioned below, which will make it easy to ensure long-term functionality of your knives.
- Regular cleaning is important. With this, you can use soap, warm water, and toothbrush. A mild detergent is preferred. Stay away from toxic chemicals. Make sure to brush it thoroughly to remove dirt that could possibly get stuck on the surface.
- Aside from cleaning, oiling is also vital for the maintenance of your pocket knives. The right lubricant should be applied on the hinges and locks, which will make sure that opening and closing the knife will be effortless on your end.
- Also, take note that salt water is a mortal enemy for pocket knives. They will make it easily prone to rusting and corrosion. Be sure to wash your knife quickly if it ever gets in contact with salt water.
- You should also be mindful about proper storage. If you are not using the knife, keep it in a sheath and in a location where it will not be exposed to external elements that could possibly speed up wear and tear.
Top Picks for the Best Pocket Knife Sharpener
In this section, we will have a quick look at five of the best products that will provide the best bang for the buck.
With the affordable price and high ratings from other users, this is one of the products that you should consider. Despite its economical cost, you will be happy to know that it can deliver superior quality.
The slim and lightweight design of this product makes it a great pick. Like pocket knives, this sharpener also comes with a sleek profile, which means that you can easily bring it with you anywhere. To make it easy to carry, there is also a small hole where you can insert a lanyard.
It is also excellent in terms of versatility as a single product can deliver multiple functionalities. There is a carbide blade, which is ideal for quick edge setting. The ceramic stone, on the other hand, is good for polishing the edges. Lastly, there is also an abrasive.
Lastly, you might also be impressed with how simple it is to use this product. It comes with pre-set angles, which will eliminate guesswork on your end. This will guarantee the best outcome right after every use.
- Has multiple sharpening options
- Compact and lightweight
- Produces great results
- Case is made from plastic
- Can be prone to rusting
The best thing about this pocket knife sharpener is perhaps the fact that it is abundant with safety features, which should give you peace of mind in its use. It has a suction cup, allowing it to be stable on the surface and will prevent your finger from being accidentally cut. To add, there are also blade guides.
It is also an excellent choice if you are thinking of versatility. Aside from being good for sharpening pocket and hunting knives, you can also use it for bread knife, among others. Regardless of the type of knife that will be sharpened, you can expect incredible outcomes.
The tungsten carbide technology, which is incorporated in this knife, is also impressive. With the latter, you can expect that it will remain superior even after a long time of use.
If you have hesitations about buying this pocket knife sharpener, one thing that could eliminate such is the fact that the manufacturer is offering 100% money-back guarantee. If you are unhappy in any way, let the manufacturer know and they will provide you with an unconditional refund.
- Excellent in terms of safety
- Has a satisfaction guarantee
- Has a suction cup
- Quite expensive
Small but incredible – this is one of the ways to perfectly describe this product. It is made in such a way that it is compact, and hence, easy to carry and space-efficient. Even with its small size, however, you can anticipate that it will be big when it comes to the quality that it can deliver.
Among others, one thing that you might like the most about this product is the fact that it can perform multiple functions. Aside from being useful in sharpening knives, it also has a fire starter, making it excellent for camping. There is also a high-pitched whistle, although the latter is not greatly received by many of its users.
In terms of construction, it is a good thing that it is made from a blade that uses tungsten carbide. The latter is exceptional because of its durability, making it able to restore more knives without demonstrating significant wear and tear.
- Delivers multiple functions
- Lightweight design
- Rugged construction
- Whistle can be annoying
- Angle seems a bit off
This is another option that should be part of your list if you are on the lookout for budget-friendly alternatives. It may be cheap, but such speaks only of its price, and not of its quality or functionality.
One of the best things about this product is the 3-stage sharpening system, which guarantees sharper pocket knives. From fine honing to the elimination of burrs, it will be easy to bring back to life your old pocket knives.
It is also a good thing that it comes with a non-slip rubber base. With the latter, you can be assured that it will remain stable on the surface, and hence, making it great when it comes to safety.
Lastly, if you want to have peace of mind, you will have another reason to choose this product. The manufacturer is offering a lifetime guarantee, which shows how confident they are about the quality of their product.
- Affordable price
- Sturdy construction
- Easy to use and clean
- Can be a bit awkward to handle
- May not be excellent for serrated blades
The first thing that you will notice about this product is its size. Like in the case of pocket knives, they are also small. Nonetheless, even with such a size, it will deliver an exceptional performance. After all, it is made by Victorinox. However, the first few uses can be quite challenging, especially if you are a beginner in using pocket knife sharpeners.
The ceramic oval rod that you can find in this knife works great. It is simple, yet the result will be incredible. There is also a hook sharpening groove. Even for coarse knives, you can sharpen them effectively.
When it comes to cleaning, there should not be any problem. All that you need is a little amount of warm water to maintain the pocket knife sharpener in its best.
Lastly, it has a lifetime guarantee from Victorinox. If you want peace of mind, this is one thing that can easily convince you to choose this product above other choices.
- Compact body
- Made by a reputable brand
- High-quality ceramic construction
- Tricky to use for beginners
- Angle can be quite off
Your search for the best pocket knife sharpener will be an overwhelming task. Despite the abundance of the option, this should not be an excuse for you to choose just any product and make a decision in haste. You should be responsible enough to differentiate the possibilities.
From the five products that we have listed above, if there is one that I can personally recommend, it is Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener. The latter is lightweight and compact, yet it will not fail to deliver impressive sharpening performance. Plus, this is also an option that will be easy on the wallet.