Yogurt has gained reputation as an excellent choice for a light, delicious, and healthy snack. While there are many brands that you can buy in stores, for some people, they would rather make one on their own at home. This is an excellent way to experiment with different flavors and recipes to come up with a yogurt that is perfect for your taste.
What is the best yogurt maker in the market? Stop guessing! We’ll make it easier for you to end up with the right choice. In the rest of this post, we’ll tackle some of the most important considerations. We will also identify five of the best products that can provide excellent value for money.
Types of Yogurt Maker
Before anything else, you need to decide which one is best suited for your needs. With this, the following are the types that will confront you:
Manual Yogurt Maker
In this case, there is a need to use hot water. This will make the milk warm and will prepare it for fermentation. This may be completely electricity-free, although there are some models that will still consume electricity, but only minimal. This will require a lot of effort on your end.
Electric Yogurt Maker
If you want the entire process to be quick and hassle-free, this is the right option for you. It is able to maintain consistent temperature throughout the fermentation process. It also comes with a timer, which will allow it to stop automatically when it is done making yogurt.
Essential Factors To Consider
The following are some of the most important things that should be given careful thought as you try to narrow down the possibilities for the best yogurt maker:
- Ease of Use: This is one of the most important things to consider. Make sure that it has controls that are strategically-positioned. The manufacturer must also provide comprehensive instructions to guide you. It is also important that there is minimal preparation time and you do not have to wait for a long time before your yogurt is ready.
- Size: How much yogurt do you intend to make? How much space is available in the kitchen or storage cabinet? These are some of the things that you need to consider as you decide on the right size.
- Timer: It is important to keep in mind that it will take about eight hours for yogurt to ferment. It is good if there is a timer, which will allow you to leave it on its own. It will turn off on its own once it is done making yogurt.
- Digital Display: This is not one thing that you can find in all yogurt makers. As much as possible, choose a unit that comes with a display, which will make it easy to monitor its functioning, such as how much time is left before fermentation is finished.
- Material: Most of the yogurt makers are made from plastic. See to it that the quality of the plastic is superior and that it will be long-lasting. Another important thing is for it to be BPA-free, which means that it will not be toxic.
- Versatility: It will also be good if it comes with multiple containers, which will offer versatility. With various containers, it means that you will be able to produce different flavors at once.
- Cleaning: You also need to choose a product that is easy to clean, which will prolong the lifespan of the yogurt maker. It will be good if it is dishwasher-safe and if the parts can be removed. Keep in mind that the motor cannot be immersed in water.
- Warranty: You need to take a look at the warranty if you want to have peace of mind. In most cases, manufacturers will offer one to five years of warranty. This means that they can offer free repair or replacement of parts when they are defective.
- Reviews: Lastly, you should also not forget to read reviews from past users. Pay attention to the experiences that they are sharing. Their opinions will be helpful in making the right decision.
Tips in Making your Own Yogurt
While the best yogurt maker will help you to make the best outcomes, it is not enough. There are also tips that you have to keep in mind, including those that will be mentioned below:
- One of the most important is to know how to make a runny yogurt thicker and more consistent. You should add different types of thickeners at the end of the process. Some of the best examples of the latter include cow, goat, or soy milk. Gelatin and non-fat dry milk powder can also be effective choice for thickening.
- Before anything else, it is also important to clean everything that you will be using. The utensils and yogurt maker can be a breeding ground for bacteria, so you should exert effort to minimize the possibility of transmission and contamination.
- It is also critical to do not disturb the milk during the process of fermentation. This is a very fragile stage and any disruption can have an impact on its consistency.
- The right choice of culture and milk will also be essential considerations. You have to make sure that the milk used is not ultra-pasteurized.
Here is a short video that will give you more tips on how to make the perfect yogurt at home:
Top Picks for the Best Yogurt Maker
Still undecided on what yogurt maker to buy? Below is a quick look at five of the best brands and models that you might want to consider. We’ll also have a look at their notable features. To make it easier to weigh the possibilities, we’ll identify their pros and cons as well.
Preparing a healthy Greek yogurt will be a lot easier with the use of this product. It has a two-quart capacity. You need to have a yogurt that is already made but plain. This product is what you will use to have it transformed into a Greek yogurt.
Among other things, one that we loved the most about this product is how it is made using high-quality plastic components, which are also BPA-free. This means that they do not contain toxic chemicals. There is no need to worry about potential health hazards.
If you are looking for simplicity, you have another good reason to include this in your list of alternatives. It comes with simple instructions, which can be easily followed even by beginners. There are also few parts, which simplifies the process of use.
Lastly, to provide you with peace of mind, it comes with three-year warranty. The manufacturer guarantees that within such period, it will be free from defects and other problems in workmanship.
- Made from BPA-free plastic
- Affordable price
- Easy to clean
- Can be prone to leaking
- Straining capability could be better
If there is one thing that you will find to be impressive in this product, it would be the fact that it comes with seven individual containers, each with a capacity of six ounces. With this, you will enjoy versatility since you can make up to seven different flavors at once.
It is designed in such a way that it will be user-friendly. One thing that makes sure of this is its simplicity. Aside from this, it is also a good thing that it comes with a timer that is strategically positioned, allowing it to stop on its own when it is done making your yogurt.
If you are looking for a yogurt maker that is easy to maintain, you might have another good reason to include this in your list. It is dishwasher-safe, which means that cleaning it will require minimal effort on your end.
Lastly, it is also a good thing that it is made using BPA-free plastic. This means that it will not be toxic in any way.
- Affordable price
- Comes with seven jars
- Operates quietly
- No thermometer
- Does not look stylish
With the use of this product, sky is the limit with regards to the yogurt that you can create. You can experiment with different ingredients depending on the flavor that is desired. You can make yogurt that is free from artificial ingredients and be sure that it will be good for your health.
Among other things, this is a well-loved option within the product category because it is user-friendly. One feature that you will love is the digital control, which makes it easy to input the desired setting. It also has a timer, allowing you to set the fermentation duration to a maximum of 15 hours.
The complementary recipe book is also a plus, which makes it easy to prepare a variety of recipes. There are step-by-step instructions that will guide you throughout the process.
Despite the space-efficient design of the yogurt maker, it is a good thing that it will be good for making up to 12 jars at a time. There is no need to wait for a long time before your yogurt is ready.
- Digital interface
- Space-efficient design
- Does not last long
- Contains chemical that can cause cancer
While there are many reasons to love this product, one of the best is the fact that it comes with a self-contained design. This means that all of the parts are in a single container, which also improves space-efficiency.
With the use of this yogurt maker, you can make up to two quarts of Greek yogurt at a time. There are two buckets that are included, both of which are made using BPA-free materials, providing you with the guarantee that they will not be toxic.
It is also a good thing that it comes with an LCD display. This will make it easy to monitor the process of making yogurt. Plus, there is also a convenient timer that is included.
To keep it neat when not being used, it comes with cord storage. This also prevents the cord from tangling when the unit is not plugged.
Lastly, there is a quick start guide, manual, and recipe book. If you are a beginner, there is no need to worry, as everything will surely be easier.
- Easy to store
- Self-contained design
- Comes with a recipe book
- Minimal yield
- Can easily get too hot
The unique water bath system that is used by this yogurt maker is one thing that gives it a distinct advantage above many others within the competition. The latter makes sure that ideal temperature is maintained, guaranteeing the best outcomes.
It comes with a container that is dishwasher-safe, which means that cleaning is one task that you can accomplish in a snap. It is also BPA-free, which means that there are no toxic chemicals that can be possibly hazardous for your health.
This yogurt maker comes with an inner container that will allow you to make up to two quarts of yogurt at a time. It has a thick wall, which means that it will maintain the right temperature when the yogurt is placed in the freezer.
Lastly, there is also a thermometer included, which eliminates guesswork. This will make it easy to monitor and ensure the right temperature based on what is required in the recipe that you are following.
- Easy to use
- Delivers consistently great results
- Durable construction
- Container can be hard to lift
- Lid may not lock tightly
The best yogurt maker is an essential for anyone who likes making delicious and healthy snacks at home. There is no need for complicated and huge equipment. All that you need is to choose the right product and you are good to go.
From the five products that have been mentioned above, if there is one that I can personally recommend, it would be Euro Cuisine GY50 Greek Yogurt Maker. The latter is the perfect choice for any budget-conscious buyer who is unwilling to settle with anything that is less.