Thinking of putting up your own business? Luckily, there are many opportunities that are promising in terms of their financial returns. You may not be able to yield profit overnight, but for sure, with patience and determination, you will be able to achieve your financial goals.
Among others, one of the ideas that can be taken into account would be opening up a coffee shop. With this, if you are thinking of how much does it cost to open a coffee shop, keep on reading and we will be sharing with you some valuable insights.
IBy the time that you are finished reading, you will find it easier to decide if this is indeed a good idea to be taken into account. Do not be discouraged with the costs that are involved. You can always apply for a small business loan in order to finance your startup. Also, keep in mind that the figures mentioned below are only estimates and not the exact amount that you will need.
How Much Does It Cost To Open a Coffee Shop
Generally speaking, if you want a sit-down coffee shop, which has a size of at least 1,200 square feet, be prepared to spend at least $200,000 to $375,000. Meanwhile, if it is only a drive-through, you will generally need to have at least $80,000.
If you want a more budget-friendly alternative, you can consider opening a small kiosk instead, which will cost anywhere from $25,000 to $75,000. Lastly, for a coffee cart, which is the most affordable, you will have to spend about $20,000 to $25,000.
From the costs that are involved, it is pretty much obvious that it will not be an easy undertaking, especially considering the financial constraints that can be apparent. Nonetheless, keep in mind that coffee is not just a luxury, but a necessity. It is something that people crave for not just in the morning, but anytime of the day. With this, you have a good reason to believe that your business will be destined to succeed.
What Factors Affect The Cost
Aside from knowing how much does it cost to open a coffee shop, you might be also interested in knowing why it is expensive. Generally speaking, the costs will involve the following
- Rent of the Location: The bigger the area is, the higher will be the rent. In addition, this will also cost more if your business is in a prime area, such as central business district. A good location will cause the rent to skyrocket. Make sure to keep the rent not more than 15% of the sales that you anticipate.
- Coffee Shop Equipment: This will also eat up a chunk of your startup costs. You will need to have espresso machine, coffee grinders, brewers, and refrigerator, among others.
- Coffee Supplies: To get started, you will need to stock up on supplies like milk, coffee, sugar, and baked goods.
- Professional Fees: In order to come up with a coffee shop, you will need to work with professionals, such as architects and engineers.
- Human Resources: You also need to take into account the payroll of the workforce. Make sure to hire the right people and compensate them well so that they will be instrumental in the success of your coffee shop.
- Other Expenses: Aside from those that have been mentioned above, other costs that can be possibly involved include taxes, insurances, business permits, repairs, and marketing, among other things.
Think Beyond Cost
While it is paramount to be concerned about how much does it cost to open a coffee shop, you must also be thinking beyond the finances. With this, keep the following things in mind in order to increase the likelihood of succeeding with your business idea:
- Choose the Right Location: This is one of the most important things that can influence success. Make sure to put the coffee shop in a place with high traffic and demand.
- Choose the Right people: Your workforce is going to be the secret ingredient of your success. Make sure to spend time and effort in choosing your barista and staff.
- Be Trained: If you plan to open a coffee shop, enroll in a training program. Be familiar with the jargons, as well as the ins and outs of the business. If you know it well, it won’t be hard to succeed.
- Do Not Forget Marketing: Social media and search engine optimization are some of the best marketing channels that can be used without the need to spend a fortune.
- Have a Solid Plan: Before you get started, have a plan in mind. From the financing of the business to your marketing strategies, you should know the direction that you will take. As part of this, you also need to do market and competitor research.