With close to 200 varieties, sausage is a very popular snack worldwide. Sausage is ground meat mixed with fat, seasonings, spices, and sometimes preservatives. It is normally available in fresh form that needs to be cooked, dried or cured before consumption. Typically, it is formed and wrapped in a casing made from intestine.
Read more Ultimate Guides:
Sausage can be cooked through grilling, boiling, baking, broiling, pan-frying, and steaming. In this article, I am going to provide you step-by-step instructions on how to cook sausage in the oven. It is very easy and is considered the simplest one. To add, baking sausages in the oven would not create a lot of mess.
What You Will Need To Cook Sausage In The Oven
- Roasting pan
- Frying pan
- Olive oil
- Red or green bell pepper
- Tomato sauce
- A large plate
- Parchment paper
- Aluminum foil
- Oven mitts
Instructions On How To Cook Sausage In The Oven
I have mentioned above that there are a lot of ways to cook sausages but I am going to focus on baking it in the oven. Doing this task is very easy and as presented above, it does not require a lot of materials. Here’s how to cook sausage in the oven:
- Wash your hands first before handling food items and kitchen utensils.
- Take your sausages out of the refrigerator 10 to 15 minutes before you start the process. This will allow the removal of chill from the meat.
- Plug your oven into a power outlet.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. You may also adjust the temperature to 425 degrees Fahrenheit in the event you oven will not reach a true 400 degrees.
- Once the chill has been removed from the sausages, place them in a roasting pan.
- Drizzle at least 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the sausages to make sure they have a brown crust.
- Close the lid of the oven to start the baking.
- Set the timer to 15 to 20 minutes.
- It should be noted that thicker sausages might take a lot more time to cook. Normally, it can take as much as an hour with once or twice turning over of the sausages while cooking.
- Using the tip of a knife or the lines of a fork, lightly pierce the sausages after 15 minutes of cooking. Doing this will allow you to check if the sausage is done cooking.
- If you are not sure if the sausage has cooked, you may cut a small piece to check if there no longer is pinkness remaining from the insides.
- Once it’s done cooking, turn the oven off and carefully take the roasting pan from the oven using oven mitts.
- Transfer the contents of the roasting pan into a plate.
- You may now enjoy the juicy and flavorful sausage.
Sausage can be a flavorful addition to just about any meal. It is also interesting to know that cultures and regions use various meats and seasonings to make their sausages genuinely their own. With this, you may also add vegetables for healthier options. Here’s the continuation of the above instructions:
- Using two tablespoons of olive oil, sauté onions, peppers, and garlic while the sausages are inside the oven.
- Cook these vegetables on medium heat for at least 5 minutes until they are tender.
- You may add salt, pepper, tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons of water for the sauce.
- Let this mixture cook for another five minutes.
- Once the vegetables are done cooking, take them away from the heat source.
- Carefully place the vegetables in a serving plate and top with the sausages.
- You may sprinkle parsley on top if you want to.
- Clean the roasting pan and the frying pan after you use it.
Baking sausages in the oven does not require you a lot of complicated and hard-to-get materials. Chances are you already have these materials just sitting on your kitchen cabinet. If you want to use aluminum foil or parchment paper instead, here’s what you should follow:
- Wash your hands thoroughly before handling food and kitchen-related items.
- Remove the sausages from the refrigerator, 10 to 15 minutes before cooking, to let the chill come off from it.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Layer the baking pan using parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place the sausages neatly on the cooking sheet.
- Plug in your oven to a power outlet.
- Place the baking pan on the middle rack of the oven.
- Close the lid of the oven and set the timer to 20 to 25 minutes.
- It should be noted that if you use thicker sausages, timer should be set to about 40 to 60 minutes.
- Turn the sausages over every once in a while.
- You may pierce a fork or the tip of a sharp knife to check the firmness of the sausage. You have to check if pinkness has gone from the insides of the sausage.
- Once the sausage has cooked, unplug the oven from the power outlet.
- Carefully remove the baking pan from the oven using oven mitts.
- Transfer the contents of the baking pan into a large serving dish.
- Remove the aluminum foil or the parchment paper from the baking pan and dispose properly.
- Wash all the materials used for proper food handling.
- You may serve and enjoy the sausage.
If you want to see how sausages are baked in an oven, click the video link below:
The best part about cooking sausages in the oven is that it does not require you a lot of materials. Also, with the baked sausage’s flavorful result, you surely will be doing this over and over again. If you wish to cook a more delicious sausage from the oven, read the following pro tips:
- If the sausage has been frozen or refrigerated, let them sit at room temperature first for at least 10 to 15 minutes before you start the process of baking.
- The use of the aluminum foil and parchment paper on top of the baking pan will make cleanup a lot easier.
- When placing the sausages on the frying pan, an inch of space should separate them. This will allow the sausages to cook evenly.
- If the sausages are still linked by their casings, you mat cut them apart so you will be able to spread them out.
- Allow 10 minutes cooking time before turning the sausage over its other side.
- Tongs may be used to handle the hot sausages, as they can grease most of the time.
Baking sausages in the oven is a very easy task. You will be able to enjoy the flavor and deliciousness of the sausages using just a little effort and minimum materials. Knowing how to cook sausage in the oven is something you may benefit from, especially if you and your family like sausages.