How To Start Juicing: Tips For Beginners
Juicing is the process of extracting the juice from your favorite fruits, vegetables, and tubers. Simply put, it is like “drinking your food”. The juice can be extracted through the help of juicing machines such as masticating juicers, hand juicers, twin juicers, centrifugal juicers and hydraulic press juicers.
The nutrient-rich liquid result from juicing is normally consumed immediately after the process to maximize its health benefits. For beginners, juicing may be a frustrating challenge that can potentially waste your time and money. With this guide, however, you will be informed on how to start juicing the right way.
Juicing has a lot of benefits. First off, it does diversify your diet. It can make vegetables more enticing to eat for those who hate greens. It offers better nutrient absorption and it aids in proper digestion. For some, it is a simple way of getting your recommended daily amount of vegetables and fruits. Lastly, it can help with your weight-loss efforts.
In this guide, I will discuss everything you need to know on how to start juicing. I will also provide you all the materials you might need in order to effectively do it. To add, I will also give you pro tips as a bonus.
What You Will Need To Start Juicing
In order to start juicing, here are some of the materials you will need. Keeping this within reach will save you a lot of time.
- Fine mesh strainer
Step-By-Step Guide On How To Start Juicing
Once you have all the materials ready, you may now start the process of juicing. You have to remember to read these instructions carefully to prevent wasting a good glass of juice.
- Assess your current health first. Drinking fruit juice may cause a quick rise in blood sugar. If you were generally a healthy person, this would not be a problem for you. However, refrain from consuming fruit juices if you are diabetic.
- Select the fruits and vegetables to juice. You have to start with the fruits you enjoy the most. Common fruits that are mild on the taste buds are the best fruits to start with. Once you get the hang of juicing, you may start adding vegetables to add extra taste and nutrition.
- If you are comfortable with juicing, you may start experimenting combinations. There are many sources that you can find online which list compatible fruits and vegetables for juicing.
- Get the best juicer for beginners. The term is used to describe all kitchen appliances that are specifically manufactured to extract juice from vegetables and fruits. There are several types to choose from but the most popular ones are called centrifugal juicers, masticating juicers, and twin-gear juicers.
- Get the formula for juicing. Simply throwing any fruit or vegetable in the juicer might not sufficiently produce the desired nutrition.
- Prepare your fruits and vegetables for juicing. To do this, you have to wash your produce first. Doing this will remove debris, dirt, and pollutants which can affect the juice and your health negatively.
- Coring and stemming might be necessary for some. Other fruits and vegetables should also be peeled carefully to make sure your juice would not have an unnecessary bitter taste.
- Once you have prepared your produce for juicing, you have to chop them into smaller pieces first before putting it inside the juicer. This will make it easier for the juicer to extract the juice. Remember that if you are preparing the produce ahead of time, store them in a zip-lock bag to preserve their freshness.
- Drink your juice as soon as possible. Many of you might make the mistake of leaving the juice out there for too long without drinking it. You have to drink the juice within 24 hours after extraction.
- Clean your juicer after use. Cleaning it will go a long way in ensuring the juicer will function properly. To add, it will keep harmful bacteria away.
If you don’t own a juicer, you may use a blender and a strainer to extract juice from fruits and vegetables. Here’s how to do it:
- Prepare your produce that you will start to juice. Wash them thoroughly to keep it free from dirt and dust. Peel them off and cut them into smaller pieces so your blender can blend them.
- Once you are done preparing the fruits and vegetables, put them in the blender. Make sure that you use a high-walled bowl if you are using an immersion blender. Adding water may help blend the ingredients better.
- You may now turn the blender on and make sure to stir them occasionally until it becomes smooth. If you feel the need to add more water, you may do so to get the desired consistency.
- Set the strainer over the bowl and pour the blended result into it. You may use a spatula to make sure the mixture and extract are pressed thoroughly.
- You may let it sit for a couple of minutes to make sure you get every last drop from the blender.
- Pour the result into a glass or a container and you can now enjoy your drink.
- Make sure you clean the kitchen appliances after every use.
Another way to extract juice from your produce is to use a grater and cheesecloth. Here is how you can do it:
- Carefully prepare your fruits and vegetables by washing, peeling and slicing them into smaller pieces. You have to make sure you have removed all the stems, pits, seeds, and peels before you start the process.
- You may now start grating the produce in a bowl.
- Use cheesecloth to squeeze the pulp and strain the juice. Make sure you squeeze tightly to get every last drop of juice in the pulp.
- Once you have the extract in the bowl, you may transfer it to a glass to enjoy it.
If you want to learn exciting recipes, click the video link provided below:
In order to consistently produce a good tasting juice, here are some pro tips to help you.
- Once the juice is exposed to air and light, it will start to lose nutrients through oxidation. The juice extracted from fruits and vegetables is most healthy if you consume them immediately after juicing.
- To prevent oxidation, place them in an airtight container especially if you plan to drink it later in the day.
- As a beginner, you may start experimenting with the best juicing recipes: simple detox juice, immunity booster, and vegetable juice.
- If you are out to buy a juicer, here are some of the things you might want to consider before making the purchase: noise, power, ease of use, blade rotation speed, quality, style, and budget.
- If you are determined to make a juice diet plan, assess your goals carefully. Reasons may be one of these: lose body fat, immune system strength, increase energy levels, or reverse the signs of aging.
- If you incorporate juicing into your diet, you have to drink the juice right before you have your breakfast. It can also serve as a replacement.
- The best vegetables to juice are the following: lettuce, kale, celery, spinach, cabbage, cucumbers, cilantro, parsley and green pepper.
- The best fruits to juice are the following: carrots, tomatoes, beets, citrus fruits, lemons, apples, kiwi, berries, ginger, and pineapple.
- Mixing too many types of fruits and vegetables may sometimes give your juice a funny taste. Make sure you limit it to three or under.
- Don’t overload your juicer with fruits and vegetables as it may break easily. Patience will go a long way to ensure you get the extract, as you want it to be.
- If you are really committed to juicing, remember to not eat any solids before you start juicing. You may limit yourself to eating only raw fruits and vegetables prior to juicing. This will make sure your stomach is ready for your new diet.
- The first few days will be the hardest part. You will feel that your body is detoxing and getting rid of bad toxins. To effectively do this, you should be at home where you can’t be anywhere near a fast food.
- Make a good habit of maintaining the cleanliness of your juicer as soon as you are done using it. If you don’t it will get sticky and might be more difficult for you to clean.
Making a new diet plan would be the most difficult task if you want to start a new diet. The rest is easy if you follow this guide. It is good to be armed with this information if you are really committed to starting getting healthy. Now that we have discussed how to start juicing, it’s now up to you to do this effectively.
Did you enjoy reading this post? If you have anything more to add, feel free to leave a comment below.