Do you love drinking espresso? If you do, there is one thing that you need – your own espresso machine. Having one at home can be beneficial because this means that you will be able to easily make your favorite drink on your own.
There is no need to go to Starbucks. There is no need to spend a lot. You can be a barista at the comfort of your own home. However, making an espresso shot is not a straightforward process. With this, keep on reading and we will let you know how to use Krups espresso machine.
When it comes to espresso machines, Krups is one of the most popular brands. It is easy to use, and hence, the learning curve won’t be steep. Keep in mind, however, that the quality of your espresso will depend on the preparation. It is important that it is properly prepared in order to have the output that you want.
How To Use Krups Espresso Machine
To use your machine, follow the simple steps that will be mentioned below. The steps in preparing espresso with the use of other machines can also be the same.
- Fill the reservoir of the machine and have it hooked to the water line. The quality of the water that will be used is going to be critical. More of this will be discussed later on.
- Turn on the machine. You should not use it immediately after having it powered on. You need to wait before it already heats up. Take note that heat is one of the most important components of making an espresso. With the required temperature, you won’t be able to make the perfect shot. For a small Krups espresso machine, 15 minutes of initial heating will be more than enough. For the larger ones, on the other hand, especially those that are used commercially, heating can take as much as 45 minutes.
- Using an empty portafilter, have it locked on the group head. Run the machine. Make sure that the portafilter is wiped and dry after this.
- Fill your portafilter with 18 to 21 grams of freshly ground coffee. Make sure that the portafilter is going to be filled evenly.
- Next, proceed to one of the most important parts of the process – tamping. This is going to compress the coffee beans. You need to apply the right amount of pressure to make sure that there will be no air between the grounds.
- After tamping, return the portafilter on the group head and start with the process of brewing. This is going to take only roughly 20 seconds. It can result into a yield of one to two ounces of espresso shot, depending on the specific machine that you are using.
Using Your Espresso Machine
It is not enough that you know how-to use Krups espresso machine. It is also important to pay attention to the tips that will be mentioned below, which will increase the likelihood of making the perfect shot all the time.
- Use the right water: The quality of your water will have a huge impact on the quality of the espresso. It should not be too soft or too hard. You should not also use water from the tap. It is essential to make sure that it is filtered. By getting rid of the impurities in the water that will be used for the shot, you are not only being safe, but you are also doing something to enhance the quality of the espresso.
- Use the right coffee beans: If you want your espresso to have the perfect taste and aroma, the beans should be high-quality as well. Do not skimp on it. The ones that you can buy from Starbucks can be an excellent choice. They can be expensive, but they will surely be worth every dollar that you will be spending.
- Grind your own beans: Rather than using coffee grounds that are ready-made, you should start from scratch. Buy beans and invest in your own grinder. Make sure that it is fine. This will also ensure that the coffee is fresh. Keep it in the freezer in order to extend the lifespan of the beans.
- Pay attention to the amount of coffee: Make sure to have the portafilter filled with the amount that is recommended by Krups.
- Apply the right pressure: This is crucial in the process that is known as tamping. It is something that can be technical, but once you learned how it is done, it will be easier for you. By applying too much pressure, the coffee will not drip. On the other hand, if you apply too little pressure, it will end up being watery.
There it is! I hope that you now know how to use Krups espresso machine. It is not as hard as what you might have initially thought.