Most people who love coffee will agree that it is their perk-me-up drink. Whether it is early morning or mid-day, a caffeine fix can provide the extra jolt of energy that you need. For some, however, they reach a point of addiction, which is already unhealthy for the body.
With this, if you are thinking of how to wean off coffee, keep on reading the rest of this post and we will provide you with insights on some of the things that you should know. Quitting is not as difficult as it seems, especially if you to this gradually and if you follow the tips that will be mentioned below.
How To Wean Off Coffee
There are different ways by which it will be possible for you to quit, each with their respective promises. Among others, one of the most popular is known as the cold turkey method, which is the same thing that is done by people who are trying to quit from nicotine. You will simply cease from your daily caffeine consumption.
This is the fastest alternative that can be taken into account. One of the things that you should do is to plan ahead of time. It would be best to do this on a weekend or when you are just at home.
You should also refrain from driving and doing any strenuous activity. While this can be an effective solution, however, you must be prepared as there are different withdrawal symptoms that can be apparent, such as being grumpy and having minimal energy.
If you cannot do it all of a sudden, you can also consider the weaning method, which means that you must do it gradually. This may not be the fastest solution, but this can be more effective since you are not going to do it abruptly. This also means that you are giving your body the chance to adopt.
You can reduce your caffeine consumption by ¼ cup per day. Eventually, reduce it to ½ and once you get used to it, you can totally eliminate caffeine from your daily habit. The withdrawal symptoms will be less serious compared to what you can possibly experience from the cold turkey method.
Aside from the two approaches that have been mentioned above, the following are the other alternatives that can prove to be effective when it comes to how to wean off coffee:
- Find a Substitute: There are other drinks that can provide the same benefits as coffee. Some of these drinks may still contain caffeine, but the good news is that they are lesser. Among others, one that you should consider is drinking green tea. This is a healthier alternative because it is filled with antioxidants that can be instrumental for better health. Several studies in the past have also claimed that it can even aid in weight loss. A hot chocolate or herbal drink can also be excellent.
- Drink Water: Plain water is also a good choice. This is going to make you feel hydrated and will lessen the tendency to crave for coffee. Every time that you feel your energy is low, just drink more water. This can be hard at first, but eventually, you will be able to adjust and your body will be get used to it.
- Try Juicing: In recent years, juicing has been a trend, especially for people who are thinking of losing weight. If you want to get rid of coffee, juicing can also work. You simply need to find the right fruits and vegetables to use. Make sure to choose those that can provide you with a jolt in energy, similar to what caffeine can do for your body.
- Avoid Coffee Shops: You should also note of the fact that drinking coffee can be a social experience. You feel compelled to drink a cup when you are in a coffee shop. With this, try to avoid the latter. Find other places where you can hang out so that there will be lesser temptation.
- Ask Help from your Friends: You do not need to do it alone. It will also be nice if you can have a sort of support system. Let your friends know that you are trying to stay away from coffee. With this, when you meet them, they will go to some other place and not in the usual hangout spot where you consume coffee.
- Remind of Yourself on Why You Are Doing It: Why are you trying to wean off coffee from your daily habit? Remind yourself of the answer to this question every time you feel the urge to sip a cup of your caffeine fix. This will help you to become more motivated and will make it easier for you to say no.